Wed Lunch Paddle: 8/18/2021@Andrews Point and Folly Cove

rylevine

8/18/2021: Lanes Cove to Andrews Point, Rockport. NSPN WLP. 10:15am-3:15pm. Seven participants: Bob L, Shari G, Sue H, Mike H, Barb R, Liz N, and Jody H. HT 8:07am, 9ft; LT 2:08pm, 1ft. Tidal range 8ft, ¾ moon. 80F, 1 foot long period swell, 10kts SW winds. Short distance paddle from Lanes for gentle rock gardening, exploration of Andrews Point geology, and Folly Cove snorkeling. The ground track is shown in red on Figure 1 below.

We launched at 10:15am from the Lanes Cove ramp, and proceeded in the wind/wave shadow along the NE coast up to Halibut Point. The gentle long period swells of the Point afforded a unique opportunity to ride waves along the horizontal ledges. We proceeded to Andrews Point to search for a haul out opportunity. It was decided that the eastern coast of Andrews, not in the wind/wave shadow, was too rough and we returned to a sloping ledge on the western side. Exploiting a natural “ramp” we were able to exit onto the rocks. Haul outs are never more than a 50-50 proposition in this area. Leaving the boats high and dry, we started to explore the incredible geology of this headland. Our track is shown in green on Figure 1. Interspersed through standard granite slabs are reddish (iron-like) deposits, black (mica) annite spots, and beautiful quartz and dike formations. An explanation for the exposed hexagonal quartz deposits was left as a homework assignment for the group. We further checked out a running magma (diabase) intrusion and searched for chilled margins indicating the explosive event that formed the black fault. It was noted that the sedimentary argillite around Boston Harbor had a different origin than either the Rockport granite or diabase*; but it was emphasized that boat and body will not recognize the difference on impact. Returning to the boats around noon, we launched and headed back to Folly Cove for lunch.  

Shari graciously met us with snorkeling gear; although most of the participants had brought their own. Remembering an unfortunate circumstance last year of hypothermia catching up with me, I changed into a 5mm wetsuit, hoodie and gloves that she provided. After lunch four of us swam out to the NW edge of Folly Cove. Barb and Jody organized a rafted trading off of swimmer and boat tender during their snorkeling – so paddled boats over to the ledge. The snorkeling was timed to dead low tide because the water is warmer; and more importantly the level allowed exploration just under the permanent marine base. In higher water, none of the creatures and vegetation are really accessible. And what a riot of life! Fish, starfish, sea urchins, crabs, weird tubular growths (to be googled…), kelp, and a whole variety of other colorful plants – all oscillating in unison with the swell. We proceeded along the ledge to the point, taking breaks on flat granite “tables” along the way, and then made our way back down again. The track is shown in blue on Figure 1. Shari discovered an unusual area of low rock, perhaps a foot deep at LT, surrounded by sand, in which an entire micro-ecosystem of plants, crabs, and tiny fish swarmed.  It was as if life on the ledge had been miniaturized onto the slab. Water was coming back in as we launched at about 2:30pm to return to Lanes Cove. We grabbed some nice rock gardening in the low water on the way back, and landed at Lanes about 3:15pm. Total distance of about six nautical miles.

* Fire and Ice: Boston Harbor Geology 10/18/20 - Trip Reports - NSPN Message Board

image.png.45171ae243197b5a4cf030e9c48380d7.png

Figure 1: Ground track for 8_18_2021 Paddle. Red=paddling ground track. Green=Andrews Point hiking. Blue=Folly Cove snorkeling.

Edited by rylevine

Sounds really nice. I was tied up but also did not realize there was snorkeling going on. I have always been into snorkeling and would have loved to have joined. If there are other snorkeling trips please let me know. 

On 8/22/2021 at 4:48 AM, Paul Sylvester said:

Sounds really nice. I was tied up but also did not realize there was snorkeling going on. I have always been into snorkeling and would have loved to have joined. If there are other snorkeling trips please let me know. 

I also would love doing this trip but was up in Jonesport as you know, Bob.  Shari talked last year about snorkeling there and I always wanted to do.  Please do it again before water gets too cold!