Wed Lunch Paddle 8/18/21 @ Lanesville Gloucester, meet 9:30 launch 10 am

rylevine

This is a short paddle from Lanes to Pigeon Cove, where people can explore the environment out of their boats. Bring goggles and wetsuits (or drysuits) if you want to stay in the  water any length of time. Dress for immersion. Hoodies, gloves and boots also a good idea. The latter to protect hands and feet from barnacles. Bring hot water or tea to drink. The rocks on Folly Cove can be a little rough to walk through from the beach; so we may just swim off our boats in pairs (swimmer and boat tender plus T-rescue practice!) to look for starfish, sea anemone, under water vegetation, crabs, and fish. As for geology, it will depend on being able to haul out behind Andrews Point. However, if a no-go people can stroll over to look for the quartz crystals and dikes at a later time.

Notes from Halibut Point: Gems and Geology (halibutpointnotes.blogspot.com)

Overall we will need to be flexible and pragmatic as to goals! The exercise can be repeated later in the season as well, as long as the water stays warmish. 

Trip limited to six paddlers to avoid parking issues at Lanesville. Waves 1-2, Wind SW ~10kts, Temps about 80F, possibly overcast. Waiver is necessary. Please PM me if you want to attend or have questions. 

Bob

I’m going to have to pass on this morning but I’m hoping I’ll get another opportunity before the frozen cold arrives. 

Edited by Archer

This was a terrific adventure and big thanks to you Bob for organizing and Sherri for bringing the snorkeling gear! Boy was that beautiful and interesting both seeing the rock formations and crystals, especially the hexagonal crystals! The snorkel was fantastic, cool And dark crevices revealing the surprises of sea stars and urchins. The Little Rock garden nursery in the center of the cove was so cool too!

Thanks for helping us take out and launch on the rocks Mike and Bob! Fun group w Jody, Sue and Liz too!!

By the way: I did stop into the fire station on my way out and talked with the 2 guys on the squad who responded and transported the man whom I used CPR on before our paddle, to the hospital and gosh, despite him being unresponsive/no good heartbeat or breathing,  to the defibrillator and epi , the chest compressions kept him going and at the hospital they were able to stabilize him enough to med flight him to Boston!! We were all amazed and so happy! Whew! What a day!