Wed Lunch Paddle 8/11/21 @ Pavilion Beach, Gloucester

Joseph Berkovitz

image.thumb.png.30ecdb8ee46e86cacc9a8e4c8b330f3d.png

This was a hot summer's day of a paddle from downtown Gloucester out to Kettle Island by way of the big Cape Ann rocky coast. There was a breeze at times but mostly it was fairly calm with 5-8 from the south.

Along the way some of us played in rocks. A number of people went into Rafe's Chasm which was actually very sedate inside today. Others enjoyed bobbing on the waves which became pretty active in the ledgy spots along the outside of Normans Woe and Magnolia Point.

At Kettle there were two new Mass Audubon signs, somewhat conflicting. One said "No Landing on The Island" while a different one said "No Entry to Interior of Island"; both cited nesting protected birds. Ben had an equipment issue that needed fixing on land, so we elected to just stay and eat a brief lunch at the very northern tip of the island where few birds were hanging out on the exposed sand and rocks. We left quite quickly as the tide was coming in; most of us did a CW circumnav of the island where conditions became quite sporty on the SW side.

Ben's boat issues recurred on the way back; an inline tow ensued, and most of us paddled along the shore up to Mussel Point where a beach permitted another repair. While the tow/repair took place Mike and Bob took a route along Normans Woe where they staged some swimming exercises. These two pods finally reunited at Mussle Point and we headed back to the beach. Ice cream was eaten!

This was another AWESOME paddle!! I so enjoyed meeting Prudence and Judy and Mike Hazeltine. I did learn that I will from here on trust my boat more and endeavor to get in closer to the action along the rocks to better see and learn from my experienced mentors. I'm so sorry I missed the details of Bob's instructive towing while swimming his boat out of the Chasm as I  I was watching but was too far to see well without binoculars. Maybe I'll have to try this myself- without the chasm and waves, to see how it's done. Looked super effective, efficient and safe!  We all learned that anyone in a tow line has the right of way, and otherwise those coming up behind other boats yield to the boats ahead.  And yes, the waves outside of Kettle Island were "quite sporty"! I love your descriptive terms Joe! 

I wish you and Prudence, Janet and Mike a FABULOUS Maine island adventure! I hope to see some pics posted from there is possible.

Thanks for all you do to make us safer, better and happier paddlers.

By the way, here is the info. from Audubon re: Kettle Island. https://www.massaudubon.org/get-outdoors/wildlife-sanctuaries/kettle-island/about

About Kettle Island

→ Landing on the island is prohibited ←

White faced ibis © Craig Gibson

Kettle Island is an uninhabited rocky island located off the coast of Manchester-by-the Sea. Much of the island is vegetated with a dense cover of low trees, shrubs, thorns, and copious amounts of poison ivy.

You can view wildlife from small boats and kayaks, but landing on the island is prohibited so as not to disturb this important colony of nesting birds.

Acres

Trail Mileage

None: The island has no trails or boat landing areas

Sanctuary Highlights