Newbury Canoe & Kayak Says Goodbye to Kayaks

Wayne S.

Jeez, another place to purchase real kayaks falls by the wayside.  I get the rec boat and SUP thing of late but I'm surprised they thought the way forward is canoes.  Don't get me wrong, I really like those guys (purchased my Prana from them) and they certainly know the business better than me.  I guess I'm just getting a little nervous about what places we'll ultimately be left with to go 'shopping' at.  Are Charles River and Osprey hanging in there (didn't Carl Ladd retire)?  Supply issues make the whole sea kayak world look weird at the moment, I know. Not sure what the vibe is at Kayal Center (RI) is of late.  I certainly hope MIKCO, the 2 places in CT, and Nanuq hold on and do well.  

For those who didn't get the message, Newbury is open through August, closed in September, and reopening in October specializing in canoes and also carrying Stellar surf skis and kayaks. They have committed to support their past kayak customers.  Details on their site.

Carl did sell Osprey.  They're still in business, and their new manager, Brandon Gunderson, is a great guy.

There's a continuing decrease of interest in touring sea kayaks. I used to see groups almost every weekend around the Elizaeths; saw one last year, nd none so far this year.  Theere's a thread somewhere here on the decrease in sea kayaker numbers. 

8 hours ago, josko said:

There's a continuing decrease of interest in touring sea kayaks. I used to see groups almost every weekend around the Elizaeths; saw one last year, nd none so far this year.  Theere's a thread somewhere here on the decrease in sea kayaker numbers. 

But yet I can't find a sprayskirt that fits both me and boat in stock anywhere! Who is buying them all?? ?

Did you try Kayakwavology in CT? Greg ships products all the time. Can't speak to any particular item but you should check in with him.

Plug:::  Greg and Paula have one of the best rough water training areas in New England. From mild to wild you can do it all under their watchful eyes. The drive is less than downeast Maine.

Canoes don't belong in the ocean.  If you launch a canoe from their store just make sure you go upstream on the Parker River and not down toward Plum Island Sound.  It's a funny location to be focusing on canoes.  We'll see how it goes.

Pretty sure that here there are few places we kayak to that have not already been visited by canoe, long before kayaks became popular.

The Mic Mac (spelled in differently many times) perhaps further north in particular come to mind for their ocean canoeing..

1 hour ago, spider said:

Pretty sure that here there are few places we kayak to that have not already been visited by canoe, long before kayaks became popular.

The Mic Mac (spelled in differently many times) perhaps further north in particular come to mind for their ocean canoeing..

Exactly. The Polynesians crossed the Pacific in outrigger canoes. According to Tim Severin in "The Brendan Voyage", Irish monks crossed the North Atlantic to North America in curraghs, which are open canoe-type boats made from leather and wood. Other oceanic cultures had open canoes and traveled in the South Pacific. The playwright Eugene O'Neill regularly paddled a canoe out of Provincetown and then down along the coast. 

Somehow I don't think outrigger canoes or sprint canoes will become a popular sport in the ocean, although I might want to check out what the new store carries this fall.  I still maintain that your average touring canoe where you sit on a bench doesn't belong in the ocean, and I just about never see canoes in the ocean.

I bought me Cetus at Newbury in spring of 2020.  I was planning on adding a keelstrip after I used it for a season or two.  I was going to bring it back to Newbury.  I was thinking of doing it at the end of this season.  Do you think they'll still have people that know how to do good work on glass boats?

-Ken

Bryan from the article Wayne linked.

"I wrote about sea kayaking marketing back in 2012, and how it has tended to show sea kayaking as an extreme sport with surf, big waves and big conditions. This isn’t what most people want from the outdoors. It doesn’t surprise me that after years of being depicted like this that the sport is in serious decline."

Interesting comment and something to ponder along with cost of participating in seakayaking beyond in a trivial way.

Ed Lawson