New to the area and looking for local activities

Don Martin

Hello all,

I just recently transferred back to Massachusetts from Europe and I am looking to connect with some sea kayakers in the North Shore area (Salem and the like). My boat is still in a shipping container (I hope) but I would like to start meeting up with and participating in different activities to get to know the area better. I would be grateful if you could spare a few minutes to point me in the right direction.

Best wishes,

Don Martin 

Lynnfield (978) 771-0576 

Hello again,

Thanks for the warm welcome - hope to be meeting you all soon. I have sent in my membership check and the boat did arrive safely last week (I have a Northshore Atlantic) so I should now  - hopefully - be all set. Will check the events section for the next paddle. BTW can anyone recommend a good place to pick up some local charts?

All the best,

Don

On 8/15/2021 at 10:07 AM, Don Martin said:

BTW can anyone recommend a good place to pick up some local charts?

You can check with Newbury Kayak and Canoe (soon to be White Rose Canoe) to see if they stock them.

Kittery Trading Post has a few MapTech for sale on their website, but don't recall seeing them in the store (for what my memory is worth).

West Marine tends to keep a pretty good selection of MapTech charts and chart book in stock in their stores.

Sorry I don't have more info, but hopefully others will be able to contribute as well.

In my opinion the best charts for kayaking are the ones you make yourself, tailored to the scale you want and area you anticipate paddling in. Joe Berkovitz recently did an excellent workshop on this using free software:

I often print my own on waterproof 8X10 paper but if you find those too small, Fedex will print 11X17 waterproof and Staples will print and laminate. I'm sure others will too. Here's an example:

Odiiorne_to_Rye_Ledge.pdf