Ocean Trip For Aspiring Sea Kayakers - Sunday, Aug. 1

Jeff Charette

Are you a solid level 2 aspiring sea kayaker, perhaps attended a few of the skills sessions and now are looking to take the next step. Join me and co-organizer Jim Snyder for this level 2+ ocean trip. The goal of this trip will be to introduce aspiring sea kayakers to the ocean environment in a fun and safe manner. With this in mind, we will be looking for mild conditions closer to level 2 in terms of wind, waves, and current.

Location - TBD, possibilities include Cape Ann area, NH coast, or southern Maine. In an effort to keep this trip within the predetermined skill level I will choose a venue once the weather / marine forecast for this date is available. If weather conditions do not cooperate we will seek out more protected waters or cancel as a last resort. 

This trip is open to NSPN members with solid level 2 paddling skills. You should be comfortable with wet exit and assisted rescues as well as comfortable paddling for approximately 4 hours, or 8 - 10 miles, with appropriate breaks. 

Equipment requirements - Sea kayak, 14 feet or longer, with front and rear bulkheads, paddle, spray skirt, PFD, and appropriate attire for an ocean paddle (neoprene and a light weight paddling jacket work well at this time in the season). Spare paddle and pump are also recommended.

Other things to bring along include hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, camera, plenty of drinking water, lunch, and dry bags to protect anything that shouldn’t get wet.

Please post interest in attending to this tread. If you are unsure about skills or equipment please feel free to PM me with any questions.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like we have a nice group of paddlers interested in this trip. There is still room for more to sign up. I will be monitoring the weather forecast throughout the week and I should be able to post location and launch details by mid-week. I'm looking forward to paddling with you all.

I'm looking forward to a great trip on Sunday. I hope everyone who expressed an interest in this trip still plans to attend. This evening I will start a group message and to provide you all with full launch and trip details. Looking forward to paddling with all of you.

Is there still room to sign up for this? I just saw this trip listing or would have signed up earlier. I did the Odiorne Point Paddle last weekend and have all needed safety equipment.