Jewell Is. Parking

Wayne S.

I'm thinking about and overnight trip out to Jewell/Whaleboat mid-week. I've done this trip a few times in the past parking at Sandy Beach at Cousins Island but always in the fall when, as you'd imagine, parking was a non-issue.  What about mid-week summer? I'd like to park at one of these other locations, preferably Harpswell, and am wondering about which is the best bet (note: the group is just one person/one car - me).

Harpswell: Bailey/Orrs Island Bridge; Lands End beach/lot; Dolphin Marina (don't mind paying but when I called a couple of years ago they basically gave me the blow-off saying they usually didn't have room for kayaker parking).

Falmouth Foreside: the non-resident spots up the street from the landing

Portland: Bug Light boat ramp; East End Prominade boat ramp

As always, thanks in advance for the collective wisdom.

Lots of options. This from the recently-updated NSPN.org website:  https://www.nspn.org/put-in-locations/

If it were me I'd do a drive-by @ the Falmouth lot (launch here, if space) on my way to Cousin Island. I always let the local PD know I am overniting and my itinerary. Some towns will issue a car permit. I don't know if the relatively-new Broad Cove Preserve in Cumberland, next door to where I grew up, allows overniters?

1599662958_ScreenShot2021-07-10at1_06_19PM.png.2cc790ce661e6fbc57c02705ac0324ec.png

Wayne:

Cod Cafe (Cribstone Bridge) is always nice as sheltered launch/landing beach and a store for snacks before and after.  Gives choice of exposed or sheltered run down Bailey Island before heading out to Jewell.  Personally I like Bethel Point which makes for a longer trip to Jewell, but just a nice length seems to me..    I have heard that town now allowing overnight parking at Marshall Field on Harpswell although fee is a bit high at $20.  Midweek I believe the folks at Lands End are OK with kayakers using upper lot for free, but I would check with them.  These do involve longer trip coming from south however and certainly good spots closer.

Ed Lawson

Lands End told me this spring that they do not allow overnight parking anymore (although I did get permission there last fall). 

Cribstone Bridge  - I believe will charge $10 per night, talk to Alison at the Salt Cod Cafe.  She is very nice. We used this in May and it worked well. It is quite busy there this time of year, so do call ahead. 

East End Beach -  parking is on street if overnight parking

Bug Light - Fee parking, reasonable, but can't remember what it is, good option

Falmouth - might not get a spot in the lot so may need to use street parking

Winslow Park is another option in Freeport. It was $10 per night last fall.  An advantage is that you can camp there (for a fee, but reasonable) the night before. 

Dolphin Marina - yes, I very much also get the sense they no longer want to deal with kayakers. They are busy with bigger spenders. (Plus I think we tend to leave sand and salt water on the bathroom floors.) 

Let’s add in Merepoint Boat Ramp in Brunswick although this is a longish way from Jewell, about 10 nm. But one could stop at the Goslings or Whaleboat or Little Whaleboat along the way. Overnight parking must be arranged with the Brunswick PD. As I recall there was no charge for parking or launch g, but that was 4 years ago. 

and yes the ticks this year on Jewell are completely awful, worst ever.  But I escaped unscathed. 

12 hours ago, NPearson said:

Is parking at Cousin’s island a problem mid week?  I was planning to launch from there this Thursday

Nick-I would check with Yarmouth PD to request permission to park overnite, if that is your intent.

g

FWIW, the 2021 MITA Guide indicates overnight parking there allowed with permit from Harbormaster.  My experience is that Guide language for other locations can mean various procedures.  As Gary indicates, would not park overnight without contacting PD and/or Harbormaster.

Ed Lawson

On 7/17/2021 at 1:33 PM, josko said:

Am I the only one who finds ticks at Jewell are outrageously thick this year?

A mutual friend (Jeff) was there last (?) weekend and said they were horrendous. (Maybe you were also there?) Anyway, one person's tent was COVERED in ticks. He also said permethrin on clothes worked to keep them off. 

Did not endear me to go there this year. YUCK.

Just back from Jewell, parking at Cousins with preliminary call to Yarmouth harbormaster, emailing car info ahead of time. No parking problems (some locals helped us carry boats back up the hill!). Jewell - one tick while walking through brush. I have seen it much much worse. Maybe there are so many people there this summer that the ticks have already found their victims? Campsites heavily used midweek - we found one only because we happened by just as a group was leaving. No problems with camping elsewhere in the bay.