"Level 2" Paddle in Portsmouth- Sat July 24

rfolster

You can see the trip level guidelines by clicking this link , but really this is a trip designed for newer paddlers in the club.  It will be an easy-going trip in the sheltered areas of Portsmouth Harbor.  The details of the trip will come down to weather and participants, but one option might be to ride the incoming tide up to Four Trees Island park off the tip of Pierce Island for lunch, then ride the ebb tide back down.  Again, this is just an option.

Location: Launching from the Odiorne boat ramp located on Route 1A in Rye just over the little bridge at the very beginning of the State Park.
Cost:  Parking fee is $4 and can be reserved ahead of time following this link.  Refunds not provided in case of weather or other reasons.
Time: Please be ready to launch by 9:45am, and expect to return around 2:00-3:00pm
Participants: Open to any club member with a little paddling experience (this is not for anyone who has never kayaked before).
Requirements: Kayak with front and rear bulkheads or flotation, paddle, spray skirt, PFD with whistle (let me know if you need any of this)
What To Bring: Water, food, hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, dry bag or dry case (for keys / phone), and anything else to stay comfortable and safe.
Expectations:
     - Remain upright and stable in calm water
     - Exit the boat effectively in the event of a capsize (aka "wet exit") while wearing a spray skirt
     - Relatively effective paddling for forward, reverse, and turning to the extent of maintaining a cohesive group during a guided trip
     - Stamina to paddle a little more than two miles in slightly less than 2 hours, with a few pauses along the way

These are the basic expectations of anyone attending the most basic sea kayak trip.  If you feel that you can't meet any of these expectations, or are just not sure, please contact me or anyone else about attending a pond/lake session to evaluate your ability to join this or any other trip.

Registration: Please post to this thread if you want to attend, need to borrow any equipment, and/or have general questions.  Please check back to this thread for trip updates and discussions, and click the FOLLOW button near the upper right of this forum page to get email notifications when new posts are made to this trip (must have notifications turned on in Settings).  Group size may be limited based on number of registration requests vs assistance from other experienced paddlers.

While there will be opportunities for some information-sharing to help people become more knowledgeable paddlers and hopefully be more confident to join other club trips in the future, this is primarily a trip for newer paddlers to get more comfortable being on the water, in a group, and on a club trip.  If there is anything we can do to assist with that, please let us know.  Hope to see you on the water!!

I plan to join you for this paddle in my Cetus LV.  Have all required equipment and have practiced strokes and wet exit.  Looking forward to it.  

53B324A1-FE24-4481-8EB9-C4A51390D217.jpeg

I plan on attending this trip. 

I paddles with NSPN two years ago at Bar Harbor. But then took the covid year off from paddling. I have done some paddling this year with AMC including completing a Level 2 training with Boston AMC in Hingham harbor . I have also paddled From Crane Island in Newington with NH AMC.  I would like to participate in Bar Harbor this year if I can find a hotel reservation and look to this trip to get started with NSPN and get suggestions on which trips I am qualified for.

We can help you figure some things out, Patricia. Looking forward to seeing you and the others!

There is still plenty of room on this trip. If enough people sign up, we will break into pods as appropriate. I already have one person signed up to help out, and I am sure I can find others if needed. 

Thanks,

I have called langonian and the inn across the street and they are all booked up. I searched for something else but the prices are outrageous. I figured I could continue to check in with the hotels in case they get cancellations. My husband will travel with me again although he does not paddle.

Hi there, I'd like to join. I have all needed equipment. I've never paddled that area before, so it will be fun to check it out. I've been on a couple of NSPN trips in the past, but it's been a few years.

That’s great, Brenda!

We are up to five now with room for more. If others are interested in going, please let me know sooner rather than later if you can. 

I just booked my parking spot online  ($4 + $1 transaction fee).  See you tomorrow if I don't oversleep!

On 7/8/2021 at 12:11 PM, rfolster said:

Location: Launching from the Odiorne boat ramp located on Route 1A in Rye just over the little bridge at the very beginning of the State Park.
Cost:  Parking fee is $4 and can be reserved ahead of time following this link.  Refunds not provided in case of weather or other reasons.