Lanes Cove to Straitsmouth and possibly beyond Tues June 29.

glad

Weather conditions are looking favorable for a paddle out of Lanes Cove this Tues June 29.  Boston high is at 4 pm.  

I can't make the Wednesday paddle since I have to work.  I am trying to increase my mileage and am aiming for 14 miles.  So we'll be heading towards Straitsmouth, near Thatcher, possibly playing around rocks as the group desires.   This is a level 3 paddle for distance.  Please be prepared with spray skirts and proper boats and gear. 

Meet at the concrete boat ramp at 1030, butts in boats at 11am.  

Please post your interest here.  

Karen

Trip Report - Lanes Cove to Straitsmouth and beyond 

Bob Levine and I headed out on a wicked hot day out of Lanes Cove this past Tues with the goal of a 14 mile day and maybe some rock play.  Temps in Boston were 99 and on my way home temps in my car registered over 100.   It was difficult to figure out what to wear since Boston water temps were reported to be around 61.  I opted for the short sleeved shirt and shorts but brought the shortie dry top and other clothing just in case.  It was so not needed.  

The day started out with rolls in Lanes cove and many over the course of the day so we didn't melt - even on the water.   Conditions were 5-10 from the S-SW with practically flat water.  We headed out of Lanes out to the breaker where we decided there was no fun place to land.  We then found a new much more interesting and lively rocky inlet to land on on the south east side of Straitsmouth.  We took bets on how long we would have for lunch given the incoming tide (I won).  This was a lovely, if not prickly place pretty much at the ends of the East Coast facing the open ocean and some sloshing wave action given the fetch.  

Needing more miles we decided to head around Thatcher, did some rock gardening and did the straight shot slog home.  I was increasing the envelope of my miles but I think it was the heat that really added to the fatigue.  I now figured out how to conserve the energy of my new apple watch using Gaia GPS by putting on airplane mode, shutting off the wifi and cellular.  The GPS measured 8.3 at the inside SW end of Thatchers right before it died.  

We watched a cormorant eat a good sized fish and marveled at how adept it was at grasping only with it's beak and trying change grip while working it's way towards the gullet without losing the squirming thing.  

It was a lovely day on the water with surprisingly warm June water temps for rolling and thanks to Bob for coming out for the day!

Chart trip provided by Bob since my watch lost it's juice mid way.  

2034249030_GroundTrack.thumb.jpg.5a3c29cd59e15df2d7d3fa925b4c50f6.jpg 

Edited by glad