Paddle to the Isles of Shoals,

Paul Sylvester

This is a thread for people interested in paddling to the Isles of Shoals. We will plan to paddle out on the same day as the NSPN boat ride out there. Probably will be after Labor Day but unsure at this time. It is 6- 7 NM out from Rye Harbor. It is a level 4 trip due to the long crossing and exposure. There will be an alternate coastal paddle that day if the conditions are not favorable to make the crossing.  An offshore wind or rough wind waves will cancel the crossing. I expect the NSPN group to explore a lot around the islands. We will be limited as we have to save energy for the paddle back. 

Few points:

Leave by 8 am to be there by 10 am.

Long break on Smutty and time to explore.

Paddle back by 2 pm and in Rye by 4 pm

Wish to have three minimum, more welcome.

From you:

Train up over the summer so that you can knock off 15 miles with breaks and without bonking. 

Have a VHF radio, fully rigged sea kayak and  neoprene CWP at minimum. Water should be warm. If it is rough enough to warrant a dry suit we probably won't go out there. I usually wear neo and bring my drysuit to wear on the return if needed. The wind can pick up in the afternoon.  Please have flares or aerials for signals if needed.

Please know the components of the forward stroke and apply them in your training this summer. Please have a tow rig.

Your boat should be at least 16' ... If you paddle a Pintail this might not be your trip.

I will vet as I see fit.

I am fine with doing this trip on another day if there is interest. Weekdays are fine also.

post interest here or PMI with questions.

Edited by Paul Sylvester
additional,

Paul,  I am very interested.  I was planning to kayak out there two years ago but weather intervened.   I have my hopes up for good weather.  

Brian 

Hi Paul,

count me in.

Brian it would be fun to do this together. I assume I see you Saturday in the Winnie, we can talk about it.

Mondays or Wednesdays I can manage, comrade!  If those days are not likely to be among your options...that's okay, I guess; but I'd like to join you, for sure.  Last paddled there two summers ago.

(Careful what you say about Pintails!  Mine did that trip at least twice, as far as I can remember...)   ;^)

Even though I think it's the world's dullest trip, if there were fun group going, hey, maybe I'd just do it again because the destination is so nice and if ai couldn,t get a spot on the group hitching a ride out there…