Kayak trip from CA to Hawaii aborted

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jun/07/kayaker-rescued-california-hawaii-cyril-derreumaux

This article is about the just-aborted trip by Cyril Derreumaux. Had he succeeded he would have been the first solo kayaker to make this trip since Ed Gillet did it in a stock Necky Tofino in 1987, a feat never repeated (and beautifully described in Ed’s book The Pacific Alone).

I met Cyril briefly at a fundraising booth for his trip in Sausalito. I suspect he’ll figure this out eventually!

These oceanic crossings mystify me; I read an account of a Gulf of Mexico  kayak crossing  from the tip of the Yucatan to Louisiana. It sounded arduous, dangerous, not especially educational or informative,  and not a lot of fun.  Seems like the kayak is essentially a craft designed  for coastal travel, hunting ,  and exploration and not designed for multi- day crossings out on the ocean,  so using a kayak in that capacity becomes an exercise in ego and extremism.  

9 hours ago, PeterB said:

These oceanic crossings mystify me; I read an account of a Gulf of Mexico  kayak crossing  from the tip of the Yucatan to Louisiana. It sounded arduous, dangerous, not especially educational or informative,  and not a lot of fun.  Seems like the kayak is essentially a craft designed  for coastal travel, hunting ,  and exploration and not designed for multi- day crossings out on the ocean,  so using a kayak in that capacity becomes an exercise in ego and extremism.  

I don't like crossings myself, but the first 7 pages of the book explain why he gave up long distance coastal paddling for his Pacific adventure.  On so many levels I would never want to attempt such a voyage, but at least he provides an explanation!

• 3 weeks later...