A project in paradise - a nature lovers property (my neighbor's) for sale

glad

(I apologize if this posting should be on the commercial site but I'm not selling anything.  This is a valuable tip.  Admin, please put in the most appropriate place as you wish. )

I live in Boxford on Stiles Pond, an unknown jewel nestled between two ridges, 45 mins into Boston.   My neighbor and I are grandfathered in,  literally right next to one of the 5 cleanest ponds in Massachusetts on 400 acres of conservation land.    Our houses are situated to view the fabulous WNW sky looking over the water to the ridge beyond.  

His house, built  in 2000, is unfinished, a shell of a building, but has rough electrical, plumbing, heating ducts, well, and tight tank.  It is  zoned for 3 bedrooms. The rooms could be configured lots of ways because of support of the walls and floors. 

In my estimation, the house might require over $100,000 to make it livable and the town has assessed the building and property for $210,000. 

Because it is a sellers market and this is waterfront property which is rarely available in this area, the seller will entertain any aggressive offers before it gets into the hands of a realtor.  

I have been swimming, paddling, ice skating, x-country skiing, hiking in this very quiet, nature’s paradise since I lived here. 

As any who have visited me know, this is a special place; one mile down a well maintained private dirt road.  It isn't for everyone.  It is quiet and isolated except for the gaggle of neighbors in the immediate area.  We all respect the natural beauty and solitude of this pond (with the occasional party).  There are tons of deer, birds, owls calls at night, coyote.  There are 4 camps which are active in July and August. 

I would love to have a like-minded, nature loving neighbor.   I will try to post more pictures if I can figure out how to do it.  

Please PM me for more info. My neighbor will want to move on this within the next month prior to contacting a realtor, starting likely in mid July. 

Karen

IMG_7062.jpg

IMG_7064.jpg

IMG_7077.jpg

IMG_7078.jpg

Edited by glad
adding sentence

What might scare some away..(a shell) is what I love. As a builder it all looks so easy to step into...Great Northshore area also. Seems Boston would be closer than .45 min.

I would love to know what range it sells for? I hate to guess...

Unfortunately, there are no comps because the property is so unique and unfinished.  I tried to nail down the owner about a price but he says, "make me an offer, it is water front so should go above the town's assessment".  If it were me, I would start with 50K above assessment and work my way up to 100K.    If that were the case, one could have a home in the low $400,000 but with the challenges of building.  I think he said the building permit is still active.  Some naturing loving person with a connection to the trades and construction would be a perfect candidate. 

Edited by glad
spelling error

22 hours ago, glad said:

Unfortunately, there are no comps because the property is so unique and unfinished.  I tried to nail down the owner about a price but he says, "make me an offer, it is water front so should go above the town's assessment".  If it were me, I would start with 50K above assessment and work my way up to 100K.    If that were the case, one could have a home in the low $400,000 but with the challenges of building.  I think he said the building permit is still active.  Some naturing loving person with a connection to the trades and construction would be a perfect candidate. 

Complete in the low 400's just sounds too good to be true. If me, I would want to know what structural code upgrades might be needed before finishing the interior. Probably minor.. In Mass. it might take an independent engineering firm. Also the roof at 21 years old may need to be replaced very soon.