2021 Solstice Paddle - June 19

rfolster

The Annual Solstice Paddle Returns!!

Date: Saturday June 19th, 2021
Location: Probably Riverhead Beach, Marblehead (across street from Devereux Beach on the Marblehead neck) - watch for updates!!!
Time: Ready to launch 9:30am, back for potluck by 4:00pm

Trips: We typically have a large group that breaks into separate pods based on experience and goals for the day.  Based on a cooperative group concept, trips will not have assigned leaders, but instead will call on the skills and leadership within each group as needed or designated.  The shortest and easiest trip will be a Level 2 group (along with experienced leaders), a moderate trip will be Level 3, and the most ambitious group will be Level 4.  The actual trip parameters will be based on weather, sea conditions, and participants, so breakout discussions will occur as information becomes available.

PPPO: Tradition calls for a Post-Paddle-Pig-Out, where we all meet for a pot-luck gathering and share tales of the day,  catch up with those we haven't seen lately, and make new friends.  Although we have usually held the paddling trip out of Riverhead Beach, then crossed the street to picnic benches at Devereux, the benches were removed last year and parking severely restricted, both physically and financially.  I am waiting for the Parks & Recreation department to provide an update, and a reconsideration of this location may be necessary - please stay tuned.

Requirements: Please note that this is a sea kayaking trip, so boats appropriate for the ocean are required.  I loosely define this as a boat with integral flotation front and rear (or added for skin-on-frame kayaks), deck lines around the majority of the perimeter, and cockpit coaming that accepts a spray skirt.  PFD's are required, as well as appropriate safety gear for your level of experience.  If you are unsure about your equipment or experience, feel free to reach out on the forum or directly to me for answers.

Participants: This trip is open to all active NSPN members (please email membership@nspn.org if you have any issues), regardless of experience.  Please be honest with your trip level selection, and be prepared for a possible adjustment based on group makeup.  If you are unsure about what trip level to list, don't hesitate to ask.

Registration: Please POST TO THIS THREAD if you plan to attend, and indicate what trip level you might be interested, with the understanding that you are not committing to a particular trip, but just gives us an idea of what the general size of the different groups might look like.  Any additional information about what you might like to get out of the day could also help us determine pod designations as well.  also, if you would like to share what you might bring to the pot luck, that is always nice, too.

Parks and recreation confirmed that they plan to have picnic benches under the pavilion.  We typically leave the cars at Riverhead while we go over to eat, but if you decide to drive over, parking is $20 cash.

Weather is looking "typical" for the Solstice Paddle, with warm temperatures, a decent southern breeze, and potential afternoon t-storms.  For those who have not experienced this, it usually means that it can get very windy (with a bit of a chill) during Pot Luck, so bring a layer.

We also have a "typical" collection of L3/L4 paddlers, so will need to break out in pods.  Feel free to discuss trip options beforehand if anyone has a strong preference.  There will still be a smaller L2 trip that will probably stick along the shore around Dolliber Cove, or maybe over to Salem Willows Park, for a 5-10 mile day.

Just a reminder to all that we want to be ready to launch at 9:30am, meaning gear on, boats loaded, and cars locked, so please plan your arrival time accordingly.  We will do a quick group roundup at 9:30am to review the overall plan for the day, then split into pods for individual trip beach-briefings.  if we are good about keeping on time, we should be able to be on the water between 9:45-10:00.

If you know you are running late, you can call my cell phone at 978-387-9709 and we will discuss options.  However, we will not be holding pods on the beach for someone still getting organized by 9:30am.

I am not trying to be tyrannical about this, just setting expectations.  This is a large trip with lots of coordination involved, and we want to be meeting for dinner around the same time, so punctuality will help make that possible.

Hope y'all had fun today -- I saw a lot of empty roof racks in the Riverhead parking lot when I finished my session this morning!  I'll try to swing by Devereux this afternoon to hang out for a bit.

Matt

Screen_Shot_2021-06-19_at_12_02.51_PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 12.07.46 PM.png