9/25/21: Island Cleanup with Salem Sound Coastwatch

Joseph Berkovitz

• 4 months later...

I'm bumping this thread up again to clarify what is happening, since the plans have finally come together for the cleanup.

- We will be putting in at West Beach in Beverly at 10:00 am. We are definitely cleaning up North Gooseberry Island, South Gooseberry Island and Coney Island in Salem Sound. The mid-tide situation in the late morning is optimal for landing on these islands. Even though this is turning out not to be an effort that requires lots of people, I will try to keep it open to a sizable group as it is also a fun outing, besides being useful. It is a Level 2 trip in good conditions.

- We may also work with residents of Tinkers Island to help clean up its beach, but that is not clear yet. If we do, the put-in for that piece of the effort would be Marblehead.

- There is not really a large volume of trash on the islands, so we will be hauling plastic trash back in our kayaks in kitchen-size garbage bags, and disposing of it at home as household trash. Fishing gear will be left there for legal and safety reasons (too bad, since it's the majority of what's there).

- We will be using an app called Clean Swell from the Ocean Conservancy to track what we are picking up in a global database. So even though we aren't picking up mountains of trash, this information is still helpful to scientists and organizations trying to understand the worldwide distribution of ocean garbage

- Coastwatch will not be participating on the ground but has been providing logistical support with the Salem harbormaster (Salem owns these islands) and we will do a joint press release with them afterwards.

If you want to come, please sign up with this form: https://forms.gle/ngZDaRKuC2AauRCY9. The signup form is the only way I will be tracking who is on the trip and who is not. I can't keep track of replies on a thread.

(Nick and Ricardo: you have not signed up yet. Prudence: you signed up a long time ago using the form.)

Salem Harbor Tides:

2021/09/25    Sat    08:36 AM    1.11    L
2021/09/25    Sat    2:49 PM    8.99    H
2021/09/25    Sat    9:05 PM    0.67    L
2021/09/26    Sun    03:19 AM    8.19    H
2021/09/26    Sun    09:17 AM    1.45    L
2021/09/26    Sun    3:30 PM    8.77    H

• 2 weeks later...