Season Update from Pinniped Kayak

Hello NSPN Paddlers!  
I've pasted my newsletter below.  You can find the same thing with working hyperlinks over on my website.  http://www.pinnipedkayak.com/news/2021/4/10/paddle-time

Wishing you all a wonderful paddling season.  Hope to see many of you up here again this summer.

Cheers, Nate

Paddle Time
It’s 60 degrees, the Coast Guard just set out their seasonal buoys in Union River Bay, and a full schedule of courses has sprouted up on the Pinniped calendar! I think it’s time to get some paddles wet!

RocksBeautiful.jpg

It’s certainly been a topsy-turvy year for many of us, I’m convinced that the steady rhythm of strokes in salt water is just what I need to get all straightened out! As you think about your paddling goals for the upcoming year, I’d love to hear from you. I’ll be happy to help you find training opportunities to match your aspirations, and I’d also like to hear about any plans you’re making for self-led adventure this summer.

Here are a few highlights from this year’s schedule to get you thinking.

• Coastal Skills Week - In mid-July we’ll offer a cluster of courses to help emerging sea kayakers progress towards competent coastal paddling. These four days will include everything from rescues and bracing, strokes and maneuvers, and basic tidal planning and navigation in the context of a journey. Pick and choose which days best suit your needs, or join us for the entire progression.

• 3-day Paddler Development Intensive - Interested in pushing your paddling skills into some more challenging environments? We’ll take a best-of-the-area tour of some of our favorite sea kayak training grounds, and explore techniques for unlocking ease in these more dynamic environments. Tide races, cliffs and caves - all kinds of splashy fun!

• Instructor Training/Certification - Both L3 and L4 ACA instructor training and certification is on the calendar. Developing a deeper understanding of the components of paddlesport provides a foundation for effective instruction, but it also changes the way you analyze and improve your own technique. While our goal is to become skilled, intuitive instructors, the insight we gain on our own paddling performance is a huge side-benefit of instructor training.

• Journeys - You’ll have the opportunity to put practice into context with a handful of Journeys this season. Choose from day trips to destinations across either moderate or more-challenging waters, or a multi-day trip to the outer islands beyond Bass Harbor Head. These journeys are designed to help you refine tidal-planning, navigation and paddling skills on a trip that suits your goals and abilities.

• Skills and Leadership development with Todd Wright - As a coach and a life-long educator, Todd Wright is enormously thoughtful about how he can best support learning in paddlesports. As a raconteur he may have peaked a few years ago, but nonetheless, he’s high on his game. I’m very fortunate to have him as a contributing coach again this year. If you haven’t had the opportunity to work with Todd, you’ve got something to look forward to.

Those are just a few teasers. I hope you’ll have a look through the complete course schedule and see if something else catches your eye.

Equipment has been a bit hard to keep in stock this year! The pandemic has everyone getting outdoors more, and manufacturers are struggling to keep up. That said, I’ve managed to horde a decent supply of what you might need, from my favorite Kokatat vests to the new P&H Virgo, and new tow belt options from Northwater! You can have a look at some of what’s in stock on the freshly updated Gear Store page, and feel free to drop me a line if you have questions or don’t see what you’re looking for.

Happy, healthy spring to everyone! See you on the water!

- Nate

Nate teach2.jpg