Hingham Harbor - Langlee Island Camping April 24-25 (rescheduled)

Dan Foster

All this recent talk about Boston Harbor paddling has me itching to get out for an early-season overnight, and this weekend's weather and tides look perfect for an overnight at Langlee Island in Hingham Harbor. High tides around noon both days make for easy launching from Hingham Harbor, and low tides at 6PM mean plenty of beach for exploring and for below-the-tide-line driftwood fires. Overnight lows are a balmy 45, and the wind and boat traffic are both expected to be light.

I'm thinking something along the lines of a noonish launch from Hingham Harbor on Saturday, leisurely exploring of Grape, Bumpkin, and the inner islands, socially-distanced camping on Langlee, and a return back to the cars around noon on Sunday. Open to a max of 5 paddlers, drysuits required, and due to the early season and water temperatures, this can't be your first time kayak camping.

If there is any interest at all by Wednesday morning, I'll get in touch with the harbormaster and reserve the island for Saturday night.

Since there's another NSPN event this weekend, and my weekend just got less available than it was 2 hours ago, I'm going to withdraw this trip. I'd still like to get out for a short overnight this month, so if this trip interests you, let's talk about the weekend of April 24/25, and proceed if there's interest and cooperative weather. High tide 9:40AM Saturday 4/24, 10:30AM Sunday 4/25. So we'd need to launch from Hingham by 10:30AM on April 24th. It's a nearly-full moon that weekend, so there may be werewolves and we'll have to drag the boats up higher.

Thanks, Rob!

A few people reached out privately with some suggestions, and some concerns about Covid. I'm still a few weeks away from my second shot, so I'm concerned as well. April 24/25 is my last free weekend for a while, so if there's a small number of fully- or partially-vaccinated folks who are OK with the risk/reward tradeoffs involved with the trip (and ONLY if the weather cooperates), I'll keep organizing. I'm also fine with filing this away as a good idea for early-season camping in 2022, or with stepping aside and letting someone else take it forward for only those with a fully-punched ticket/upper deltoid.

Happy kayak camping, all!

Given the high winds for the rest of this work week, and the threat of rain early on Sunday, this weekend's trip has been cancelled. My weekends are now fully-booked for the next six weeks or so, but if anyone wants to give this idea another try, there are a number of paddlers interested, and most of them can go mid-week. For future planning purposes: I have not received a reply back on the camping permit I sent in on Friday, so getting a last-minute permit may be an issue.

The Hingham harbormaster's office hasn't returned my call either, and they are on very limited office hours, so I can't imagine issuing & enforcing camping permits are high on their list of priorities right now. 
Can anyone who has camped on Langlee before weigh in on this?