Greenland Paddle Recommendation

BigBird

Hello All - want to give a greenland paddle a go this season to see if it's easier on the shoulders (struggling with an injury).  Any recommendations on manufacturer, material, and size (I'm 6'0").  Anyone have one collecting dust they'd like to sell?

https://nanuqkayaks.com (Portland, ME) always have good selection of new and used paddles, both wooden and composite. They carry Joe O'Paddles, Gearlab, and bunch of other makes. Harley is really good guy to discuss best fit.

Check http://kayakways.net for Turner Wilson custom-made paddles, workshops, or just advice.

GPs come in a large variety of shapes let alone lengths.  Generally, they are more gentle on the shoulders than a EP or at least there are GPs which are.  I believe they are best suited to touring and day trips that are not focused on rock play.  I also believe ones made of wood and relatively narrow would be easier on the shoulders than ones made of carbon fiber and wider.  Having said that, I strongly second the suggestion to talk to Harley and Turner if not someone local who uses GPs.

A good GP is customized or at least fitted in more ways than length and width.  The length of the loom, the shape of the shoulders and loom will have a big influence in how it works for a given person.  I have several, and I use them all with selection depending upon trip and boat.

Last, but not least,  I suggest you have someone who knows how to paddle with a GP spend time with you on the proper techniques of using one.  Very important.

Ed Lawson

12 hours ago, Jim Snyder said:

If you decide you want to carve your own paddle I have a spruce blank I think I posted for free. I could maybe rough it out for you on my bandsaw. 

Thanks Jim for the generous offer, but I definitely do not have the time or knowledge to carve my own :)

I can't find the original post but if anyone wants this spruce blank you're welcome to it. It has straight grain all the way through. Perfect for a first try at carving without putting a $50 piece of cedar at risk. 

@BigBird: If you want to try a Greenland paddle before committing to the whole thing, then I have an old one that you may have.  It is quite long and was made years ago by the ever-gracious Keith Attenborough who gave it to me; but I have stopped using it.  It has shoulders (I prefer none) and measures approximately 220cm.  It is lightweight (red cedar?) and has been oiled.  I am in Gloucester and should be happy to see it put to further use.  

If interested, send me a text message at niner seven8 seven54 five wun71...

The most rewarding part, for me, was understanding how <not> to rely on arm strength or pulling or prising on the paddle when rolling; but to allow body flex to do the work and simply letting the darned paddle just float on the water surface.  It works!

Edited by Pintail

I only use paddles custom made by Don Beale, Beale Paddles. He has been making them for many years and has a variety of styles and finishes. He is very interactive in the process, checking to be sure the size is right for you, and he ships them out for you to try before he accepts payment. He's one of the good people of this world. 

As for using a GP, I absolutely did not like it the first time I tried one - the feel of it in the water is different. But friends kept handing me one, and before long I had set aside my euro-paddle forever. There are pluses and minuses - as you've noted, the GP is easier on the joints, no question. It simply cannot serve as well in an all-out sprint, such as you might want for catching a surfing wave. It's unparalleled for rolling, makes rolling an actual joy, which I guess is why there are so many rolling aficionados in the GP world. There's also something about using a tool that is so extremely simple and made of natural materials that is very satisfying. 

I wore out my first Beale paddle (still have it as a spare) after about 15 years of use, and am trying hard to wear out the second. I also have a storm paddle that fits nicely on the deck as a spare, which has never been needed and will likely last me for as long as I'm kayaking.

Kate