Isles of Shoals, Fall 2021

Jim Snyder

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<If you want more time, then I wonder about camping somewhere beyond anyone else's gaze?>

<I would never commando camp out there. Too many eyes in the hotel and harbor>

I was thinking more of the feasibility of trying it out on another island, Paul -- like White, for instance...

7 hours ago, Pintail said:

<If you want more time, then I wonder about camping somewhere beyond anyone else's gaze?>

<I would never commando camp out there. Too many eyes in the hotel and harbor>

I was thinking more of the feasibility of trying it out on another island, Paul -- like White, for instance...

There was a caretaker (lighthouse keeper for a 2-week stint) on White Island when I was there a few years ago, although the website for White Island Historic site says it is unstaffed (and it was closed to visitors in 2020 due to Covid). If you were the caretaker or knew the caretaker....

I also recall seeing an add from a local kayak company (not sure which one) a few years ago advertising a kayak/camping overnight on one of the islands. They must have gotten permission.

Jeff Charette has agreed to be co-planner for this trip. We're moving ahead with planning, including trying to make a contact with staff of Star Island. Here are the goals as of now:

• Working out the details of transport with the goal of keeping the total trip cost under $50
  • Choosing a date and alternate with the goal of having conditions that will be enjoyable and not excessively challenging. We cannot guarantee this would be on a weekend, which I know is problematic for some
  • Coordinating with Star Island, realizing that covid restrictions may pose a problem.

2 hours ago, Jim Snyder said:
Jeff Charette has agreed to be co-planner for this trip. We're moving ahead with planning, including trying to make a contact with staff of Star Island. Here are the goals as of now:

• Working out the details of transport with the goal of keeping the total trip cost under $50
  • Choosing a date and alternate with the goal of having conditions that will be enjoyable and not excessively challenging. We cannot guarantee this would be on a weekend, which I know is problematic for some
  • Coordinating with Star Island, realizing that covid restrictions may pose a problem.

Thanks to both of you for taking this on!

On 2/8/2021 at 8:55 AM, Nancy Hill said:

I also recall seeing an add from a local kayak company (not sure which one) a few years ago advertising a kayak/camping overnight on one of the islands. They must have gotten permission.

Peter Sawtell from Seven Rivers Paddling was offering Isle of Shoals trips in 2018 - not sure if there was an overnight component or not. I see no mention on his current site. He was one of the boat providers and headed up the boating safety crew for Untamed New England 2018. After seeing he had Isle of Shoals trips on his website, I was terrified that the four day race was going to end with an open water crossing to Star Island. Instead we fought the tide from Dover up into Great Bay, all the way to Newmarket, and then rode the tide down to finish in Kittery. The worst lightning I've ever experienced came through right as we were about to push off at dusk in Dover. They called us back as we were launching and we rode out the storm (and the rest of the night) in the back of a leaky U-haul truck. The next day, Peter pulled us back over at Goat Island to ride out another storm cell right as we were about to run the wave trains under the General Sullivan bridge.

I'll add my name to the list of interested paddlers, but only if there's no lightning. :)

Edited by Dan Foster

8 hours ago, Jim Snyder said:

So a minor hijack........

I had John Perrault and his (then) wife as teachers at Traip Academy In Kittery 74-76. We would go around to various venues and catch him live as teens and always liked the music. He gave me a life long love of folky acoustic music. He taught poetry and his wife taught creative writing...Got some of my best grades in their classes. lol,

He has a great song called   "Wounded Knee" that is worth a listen ..On youtube.

I am interested in any overnights out there. Day trips I would paddle out. 

Edited by Paul Sylvester
correction of title,

A member just texted me that they're having tech difficulties responding to this thread. I can't see the problem but if others are experiencing a problem please contact me by other means and we'll figure it out.

Again the purpose of this thread was to see if there was enough interest to pursue the idea, it is not a sign up sheet. It looks like we could schedule two trips based on the interest. Jeff and I are hoping to do a test run when things warm up a little and we'll report here.

On 2/14/2021 at 12:47 PM, Jim Snyder said:

A member just texted me that they're having tech difficulties responding to this thread.

Could be a membership issue, since non-members can read the trips forum, but not respond.  If you want to PM the member name to me, I can have a look into it.

I am definitely interested, I have done it twice and very much enjoyed the crossing. but am open to other variations as well. My ideal would be to paddle over, spend the night, have time to explore, and then paddle back. But I don't know if that is actually an option.  Interested in participating however things develop.

If you need/want another person (three at sea!) for the "test run" paddle I'd be happy to join you.

Whew, heck of a song!

Edited by BethS

Looking forward to it. If some want to kayak to and from the islands I am with you, just taking a ferry  and kayaking around the island works for me too, I would love to do both!

Jeff Charrette, Nick Pearson and I took a detour from our Newcastle trip to check out Jack Farrells boat, the Utopia, on its mooring in Portsmouth. Jeff and I hope to test run this trip when the weather and water warm up a little bit.

GMXL0872.thumb.JPG.49c7922d1d0cf1898c19b9417d68cae7.JPG

I’ve paddled out at the Isle of Shoals a number of times over the years, most recently on ‘mothership’ excursions on a friend’s 42-foot catamaran. Saw tons of seals up at Duck Island at the top of the shoals. Lots of fun to paddle over to Star Island for an ice cream. 

For many years, I worked as a guide for Plum Island Kayak in Newburyport, leading tours up and down the Merrimack River. One of my favorite jobs was working PIK’s trips out to the IOS.   All we guides wanted to be picked to work these events. If you want to paddle around the shoals, this tour is the easiest and cheapest way to get out there. I believe they are still doing this trip. Enjoy motoring out to the IOS aboard a charter fishing boat and then get dropped in the water off the shore of Duck Island, then paddle down to Gosport Harbor. BBQ lunch on board the mothership. Easy.

Thanks for the suggestion, and this might work better for some people but I'm sticking with our plan. We'd be at the mercy of their schedule unless they booked a trip specifically for us. We'd be on a guided tour, likely with some rec boats along. Also the trip from Newburyport is twice as long and costs $185. I plan to keep our cost well under $50.

The barbeque does sound good though.