Isles of Shoals, Fall 2021

Jim Snyder

I've had Isles of Shoals in my head since I started seakayaking five years ago. They're there on the horizon, on the chart. I figure eventually I'll paddle out there.

But I have another idea. Looking at the chart, if you circumnavigated them it would be almost 6 nm. Adding in exploring and play this could probably double. Add in some excursions on land and you could easily fill up a day without the 4 hour round trip crossings. I've exchanged email with Jack Farrell of Seacoast Maritime Charters (https://www.seacoastmaritimecharters.com/)   about getting a group and gear out there and I think it could work. I think Jack was intrigued by the idea and eager to work with us. Another possibility would be to paddle out and hitch a ride back. The cost would depend on how many paddlers we had and whether we tried to fit in with an existing trip or just chartered the boat.  I would have to find a reliable preventative for seasickness.

Optimistically, I picture by September 1st arrives, we will all be vaccinated and covid will be receding into memory, making this trip realistic. We'll see what happens. If you think you might be interested, please weigh in here.

ios.thumb.jpg.b67da14a588a98a538d704b711499dfe.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interested!  I have paddled out several times and had some amazing days out there, but time to explore is always cut short by the need to head back before the afternoon winds and seas kick up.  Going out by boat is a fabulous idea!

I was lucky enough to paddle out there once before and was able to spend some time on Star Island. I am very intrigued by the story of the Smuttynose murders and would like to be able to walk around that island sometime, so I am interested. 

I've paddled out and back once and spent a bit of time paddling around the islands and visiting the lighthouse on White Island. I'd love to spend more time paddling around the islands without the out and back part. It's really beautiful out there!

It’s approximately 10k crossing from Odiorne to the Isle of Shoals which in a ski should only take an hour or do, and even faster when you imagine that triangular fin behind you ;)  I’ve had this trip on my mind for a while now, maybe this is the year for it we’ll see.

Matt

4 hours ago, mattdrayer said:

It’s approximately 10k crossing from Odiorne to the Isle of Shoals which in a ski should only take an hour or do, and even faster when you imagine that triangular fin behind you ;)  I’ve had this trip on my mind for a while now, maybe this is the year for it we’ll see.

Matt

Framing it in Kilometers? LOL..

I make it in about 1-1/2 hours if i keep moving. Keith A and John R. years ago made a run out and back before lunch I believe. It was written up in ACK or on the NSPN site some time ago.

There are some restrictions when you do get there.

Winter research below?

There could be volunteer opportunities?

Cornell has a facility out there.

Celia Thaxter  

Smuttynose Murders, Books and even a movie,  Weight of Water.

It looks like if this trip fails to happen it won't be for lack of interest. Please continue to post suggestions here and watch this space. I welcome the scoffers who think we are just plain lazy too.?

This thread is not a signup sheet. I will work on details assuming a 10 to 15 member trip and create a signup thread when cost and potential dates have been established. There is practically no opportunity to hide from conditions so we need a good day and alternate day. 

In the meantime I'll be reading https://nh.overdrive.com/media/224233

I would have thought that there was plenty of time for exploring if you set out early enough from Rye -- after all, there isn't <that> much to see out there (unless is be the quiet remoteness that you savour).  Yes, the return paddle, especially, can be boring; but there is a sense of achievement about it and it isn't <that> far...I've done it a few times, so has Paul Sylvester.  I even did it in the company of only one other paddler, one time (Ken Condon), on a dead-calm, summer's day. 

If you want more time, then I wonder about camping somewhere beyond anyone else's gaze? 

1 hour ago, Pintail said:

I would have thought that there was plenty of time for exploring if you set out early enough from Rye -- after all, there isn't <that> much to see out there (unless is be the quiet remoteness that you savour).  Yes, the return paddle, especially, can be boring; but there is a sense of achievement about it and it isn't <that> far...I've done it a few times, so has Paul Sylvester.  I even did it in the company of only one other paddler, one time (Ken Condon), on a dead-calm, summer's day. 

If you want more time, then I wonder about camping somewhere beyond anyone else's gaze? 

I would never commando camp out there. Too many eyes in the hotel and harbor. But I bet a smaller group could get permission if they could frame the question right. 

I love the idea of spending one day cruising and visiting the islands. I'd happily skip the traverse. 

I personally love the crossing.  Have done it a number of times.  

That said...  the novelty of throwing my kayak on a boat, great company on the ride out and being able to take in the islands at a leisurely pace sounds like a hoot!