British Arctic Air Route Expedition 1930-31 Photo Archive

dsigall

I had come across this archive a few years ago and rediscovered it over coffee this morning. The crew appears to have passed their time in Greenland documenting the life of the indigenous population and trying their hand at some of those essential skills. There are great images of kayak construction, hunting, dwellings and the intrepid explorers developing their paddling skills. I've posted a couple of examples (we all know what's about to happen in the 2nd photo). Enjoy.

https://www.spri.cam.ac.uk/picturelibrary/catalogue/baare/gallery/

btw- you can order prints too!

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 8.40.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 8.42.58 AM.png

Oddly enough, DS, I have had the Scott Polar Research Institute book-marked for a long time on my computer; but mainly for the book section in the "shop".  (Back in days when I lived far away, I even sent a dear friend there to look at the paintings of Edward Wilson)  I had never gone into this section of fascinating photos: thanks a ton!

11 hours ago, Pintail said:

Oddly enough, DS, I have had the Scott Polar Research Institute book-marked for a long time on my computer; but mainly for the book section in the "shop".  (Back in days when I lived far away, I even sent a dear friend there to look at the paintings of Edward Wilson)  I had never gone into this section of fascinating photos: thanks a ton!

Its really an extraordinary collection isn't it? I especially like the photo of the Inuit fellow napping in his kayak. I suppose it was not uncommon to use your boat as a shelter. What do you suppose the white cloth screens seen on the decks in other photos are for? I thought they might be camouflage to blend with surrounding ice.

Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 12.16.39 PM.png

Edited by dsigall