I find that as I get older my kayak puts on weight.  I have thought of investing in a hullavator but I'm concerned that it hangs over the driver's side rather than being more centered.  I am concerned that i could hit oncoming traffic with the overhang or it is unstable on this type of rack.  Has any one had o heard of this happening?

Bill,

I've had Hullavators on both sides of my vehicle for years with an exaggerated "hang over".  No question but that it calls for extra attention.  That said, I've never had concern about traffic.   I drive a mini van so I pay attention to overhead clearances and do watch when pulling close to buildings or parked vehicles.   As far as stability goes I've had no concerns. Be glad to jump on a Zoom call and talk a bit more.  I swear by them. 

David

Bill, I concur with David. There is an 8 inch minimum overhang to prevent damage to your car. On the upside, I believe it's the only system that is hydraulic assisted. I would wish Thule would make a couple of improvements that would actually make loading and unloading easier as our bodies adapt with maturity. Alright already, as we get old. I have one that maybe I'll build a prototype over the winter and trial it next spring.

dave

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This is an old thread, but though I'd chime in anyhow. On my car, the hullavator doesn't cause any issues with side clearance - it protrudes from the side less than the side view mirror. They are a back saver if you paddle solo.

I generally mount it on the passenger side to a) make it easier/safe to load/unload at the curb, b) minimize smacking my head getting in and out, c) boat doesn't block the drivers vision of stoplights. As with any roof rack, I always use front tie-downs.

The only downside aside from cost is the extra weight - they are ~18lbs each, which adds to the rack loading.

Tim

hullyvator.thumb.jpg.b30db14e7e41ed9025134b06539288fc.jpg

Edited by Timothy Tait