Drysuits and overheating

josko

Went out for a (Kokatat drysuit+smartwool layer) fitness paddle during the last cold spell and started seriously overheating as soon as my heart rate nudged up a bit. What do folks wear when paddling hard in cold weather?  The intersection between safety and non-overheating is escaping me so far. 

I recently came across this: https://www.supskin.com/products/paddleskin-surfski-suit

Has anybody tries this for local cold weather paddling?

This is the material what I’ve found to work really well for me under a drysuit:

https://www.terramarsports.com/collections/mens-heritage-series/products/2-layer-authentic-thermal-crew-w8359

This Terramar 2.0 stuff is sort of on the cusp between fleece and the thinner polypro typE garments. It is on the thinner side yet has some fleece like loft for insulation and does not develop the sticky sweaty feel Of polypro but is soft and a little absorbent. On the colder days I add a thin wool layer on top. 

And... much cheaper than kokatat 

• 1 month later...

I have had good luck with the Patagonia capilene long underwear tops and bottoms, and/or the fishnet shirts from Brynje of Norway. If it's below 35 ish out I wear the expedition weight, above 35 or 40 I maybe use the midweight. They all dry so fast and wick extremely well,  (esp the fishnet shirt!) i never get sweaty or clammy. I also use an assortment of different hats, some warmer than others, and wear different ones at different times during the day. If all else fails I dump my life jacket in the water, get it soaked, and put it back on again. Then dunk the hat in the water as well. Seems to work well for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I have found that the lightweight smartwool as a baselayer followed by wool or poly works great.  I find the wicking of wool to be much better than synthetics - As a side note there are two different weights for smart wool 150 and 250.  The Terramar is often on sale at Sierra Trading Post.