Chittenden Reservoir, VT, September, 2020

gyork

Now I’ve never been a big fan of dams you know, but d**n, somehow this flood control project resulted in a quite spectacular, almost wilderness-like boating and camping experience. My daughter had found a website that listed this locale as one of the “secret“ camping spots in Vermont, and she needed to get away for Nature Therapy. It was halfway between us, and I would happily arrive early Friday to try to secure a campsite before the potential crowds arrived on this beautiful September weekend. The camping here at Chittenden Reservoir is listed as dispersed, with some 27 sites along the shore, including day sites, many with shoreside fire pits. I decided to paddle straight across the lake and work my way in a clockwise pattern, looking for potential base camps.

Seems I lucked out on my first landing, and decided the spot would be hard to beat, nestled in the spruce and hardwoods with a spruce needle floor, fire pit, and room for multiple tents.

IMGP0120.thumb.JPG.9311c45bf6125011e18d45ea579bca62.JPG           IMG_2428.thumb.jpg.74808e4348f7a6d945d96ac31e7bff4e.jpg

I gathered firewood and erected my tent before it got too dark, then paddled back to the launch to meet M. A party of six people and two dogs had arrived from Brooklyn in the parking lot just before sundown, and were quickly inflating their 2, 3-person rafts.  M arrived at civil twilight, and we quickly packed up her kayak and launched for the campsite, two LED lights serving as beacons for the crossing to Base Camp. This would be her first time kayaking, so this particular venue was just right, and we paddled lazily across the still water, stars emerging above in the cloudless sky.

Amato's sandwiches from Woodstock ,Vermont, of all places, were second rate, though there were no leftovers. We shared time between the sputtering fire and the tiny beach before retiring to hammock and tent for a well needed rest.

Hiking, if possible, is always included in the plans for any trip I organize, and we decided that we would connect to a trail that led up to a shelter just off the Long Trail. We paddle a short distance, left our boats, and bushwhacked in a fairly straight line to the trail/road, an easy trip through hardwood forest.

IMG_2407.thumb.jpg.675c194e499a5a4d39fed454bf13a9e1.jpg     495992889_hike9_26_2020.thumb.png.03a925444f6d14b30df18714afafae06.png

We hiked on this warm day up to the David Logan shelter, enjoyed our lunch, and read the latest few entries of the logbook.  M’s best friend Brett had finished the Long Trail a year earlier, and we turned the pages hoping to find a possible entry. Sure enough, M recognized his writing, and we photo-captured his entry, to share with him when we returned.

The day was still young, so we opted to paddle close to the shoreline, clockwise, to check out any of the empty campsites. Beyond the biggest site we recognized Brooklyn, who had managed to secure a campsite in the pitch black, following last-minute advice from a local. Without signage to indicate the different sites, we relied on small paths or cairns for landmarks. As night approached, we paddled back to the campsite to enjoy a (better) fire and simple meal.

On our last day, Sunday, we paddled back to the ramp to unload our gear,

IMG_2405.thumb.jpg.c74a59abf3e6c26c1b7a5fe27fd656ab.jpg

then proceeded to check out the remaining coastline before sadly departing in different directions.

Reflections:

-Try to arrive early, if on a weekend, to secure your base camp. No maps are available that designate tent sites, so rely on the locals around the ramp for advice.

-Take advantage of the numerous hiking trails that circle around the lake and up to the Long Trail. According to a local, North Pond is not to be missed.

-I suspect that it must be very crowded during the summer; consider visiting during the spring and fall paddling seasons.

IMGP0118.thumb.JPG.a2857cec72bbb0e70f69b061f9fd7ffa.JPG    IMGP0123.thumb.JPG.e102d496543a014e49038eb9a01abe38.JPG   IMGP0121.thumb.JPG.bfd58d3cbc29aa0906bc3dcbd8d28a7f.JPG

Edited by gyork