NDK hatch covers

NPearson

Neither of the two day-hatch covers I've bought for my Explorer seem entirely satisfactory.  The NDK one has lasted about a year and cracks are appearing,  It also never looks like it's on properly, even when it is.  The alternative Kayaksport one sits nicely and seems to last well but is slightly loose, the contents of my day hatch always get slightly damp as a result.  

To save me the expensive process of elimination, can anyone recommend a hatch cover that properly fits the NDK day hatch and lasts more than a year - and preferably has a hole for a tether.

thanks

Nick

After much research I replaced the day hatch cover on my Explorer with a Sea-Lect:

http://topkayaker.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=18_95&products_id=1588

It's a little weird to put on, you have to press down in the middle as you're pushing it into place, then it pops back up and seems to seal well. There have been a couple of times when I thought I had it on right from the cockpit only to find it wasn't. Mine has a tether hole.

Mine is a 1998 Explorer, I don't know if the hatch rims have been consistent over the years. 

Edited by Jim Snyder
add text

I believe NDK boats have been made with two different day hatch rims/covers which are close, but not identical in size.  The standard rim and cover is a KajakSport one and the optional one is  a Valley.  It would be exceptional for the Kajaksport cover to fail after a year so suspect it was a Valley cover.  One confusing fact is KajakSport now makes covers for Valley rims and Select makes covers for KajakSport and Valley rims.  The day hatch KajakSport rim is 8.25 inches or 20 CM while the Valley rim is 8 inches or 19.5 CM.  So one needs to take care to be sure the cover really matches the rim.  A KajakSport 20 will go on a Valley, but not fit tight.

Top Kayaker in Ossipee NH usually has all three brands in stock.

Ed Lawson