Odiorne, when a reservation is not a reservation...

Jim Snyder

My wife and I planned for an afternoon paddle today out of Odiorne. We made our reservations a couple days ahead and arrived around noon. To our surprise the gate was locked. We drove down to the gate at the science center and were told the launch was closed due to weather. To be fair it was foggy and I can imagine rec paddlers could get in trouble pretty easily but they can do that in any condition. And my wife and I could have too but that should have been our decision to make. 

I pointed out that we made reservations and had driven over an hour. I was told the reservation was for both the launch and the science center and that we were welcome there. 

We drove to an alternate launch and had a lovely paddle amongst the islands west of Newcastle in the light fog. 

So be aware, a reservation may not be a reservation. 

EC0773CE-7749-44D8-87C1-813B53A731EB.thumb.jpeg.4ff36fa634b5fa75759cc61f64925624.jpeg

Leaches Island 

Actually Prudence, it turned out fine. We found a new place to launch and kept close to shores and away from the mostly nonexistent traffic. I will admit to consulting Gaia on my phone to make sure I was on the right return track as I'm not as familiar with that area as some of you. I'm just not sure about the logic of closing for fog. Sure, the ocean side was very limited visibility but there were many safe places to go. Will they next close for swell over 3'?

26 minutes ago, Jim Snyder said:

Actually Prudence, it turned out fine. We found a new place to launch and kept close to shores and away from the mostly nonexistent traffic. I will admit to consulting Gaia on my phone to make sure I was on the right return track as I'm not as familiar with that area as some of you. I'm just not sure about the logic of closing for fog. Sure, the ocean side was very limited visibility but there were many safe places to go. Will they next close for swell over 3'?

Any excuse will do, now that they are having to have person there to check on rez.  That's why I hope that ends...