Dry suit recommendation

dsigall

This topic probably gets hashed out regularly but I haven't found a thread on the boards so...

Just pulled out my old Palm Sidewinder Torrent to 303 the gaskets and found 2 of them split, zipper looks a bit worse for wear too. The fabric appears to be in good shape though my shape has expanded a bit since I bought it.

I'm debating whether to send to Palm for repairs or maybe spring for a new one. I'm getting back into paddling after 2-3 years away and I'd like keep at it through the winter. At the time Kokatat was the preferred make but I didn't have the $. I've looked on the web at NRS, Stoquist, Kokatat and Level Six. If you were buying a dry suit (again) what/how would you choose? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Dana

Edited by dsigall
spelling

I second the Kokatat recommendation. Have used this since 2004, Kokatat replaced it twice for free when the waterproofing deteriorated (which inevitably happens with any dry suit), so I now have another new dry suit that will last me until this waterproofing deteriorates. At which point I'll get another free new dry suit.

I have had two Stohlquist. One lasted about 6 years. When I contacted Stohlquist they said it was beyond the lifespan. The second  - a Stohlquist Amp - was leaking in less than a year.  Even the store I purchased it from had trouble reaching Stohlquist customer service. That whole process of contacting the store and finally hearing what to do took about a month. Eventually  I was instructed by Stohlquist to send it to a dive suit shop for testing. After they had it for 2 1/2 months I got in touch with Stohlquist again to find out what happened to it.  They investigated and said it was tested and did not leak. It was sent back. I have worn it a few more times. It does leak. 

Some people have given Stohlquist good reviews.  Quite a few people have had trouble with leaky suits. I think it would make a good splash suit. If you plan to be in the water practicing rescues or really want to stay dry if you have a real incident and end up in the water, I would advise staying away from Stohlquist. I now have a Kokatat. 

As an aside, The Kokatat does not fit me as well. Even with having the legs shortened 2 inches, I still swim in it as they will not shorten the torso. But - I am dry! 

3 hours ago, kate said:

I second the Kokatat recommendation. Have used this since 2004, Kokatat replaced it twice for free when the waterproofing deteriorated (which inevitably happens with any dry suit), so I now have another new dry suit that will last me until this waterproofing deteriorates. At which point I'll get another free new dry suit.

I'ce gotten two new suits as well.  Altho I hear customer service is becoming less wonderful than it used to be..

Well, there's no debate here. Kokatat it is. Thanks for all of your first hand advice.

(first I'll have to put the old Palm on and get in the water with gaskets in the air– hope it leaks so I don't have to make the decision) (hmm, maybe I can drown my old phone at the same time...)

Hey Dana,

I have had a fantastic history with Kokatat for 22 years. As stated by others I got a warrantee replacement after my suite failed in its 19th year! Brand new suit, had a wrist gasket blow out last February (in the middle of COVID) I got a replacement gasket overnight, Newbury Kayak repaired it overnight and I was out paddling on Saturday! You just can't beat the quality and service. Footnote, I sent the suit in for pressure testing and they called me to tell me it was a warrantee replacement and to pick a suite out! 

On 9/7/2020 at 3:12 PM, Pintail said:

What about this, Dana?  https://www.nspn.org/forum/topic/12597-kokatat-men’s-goretex-semi-drysuit-red-590/

(Looking forwards to seeing you out on the briny again, one of these days...not that I seem to get out with club members at all nowadays!)

Hi Christopher, nice to hear from you. Hope we do cross paths out on the water. If you think of it let me know when your planning to paddle. I'm halfway back to work and have some flexibility.

On 9/7/2020 at 8:42 PM, Doug Cooke said:

Hey Dana,

I have had a fantastic history with Kokatat for 22 years. As stated by others I got a warrantee replacement after my suite failed in its 19th year! Brand new suit, had a wrist gasket blow out last February (in the middle of COVID) I got a replacement gasket overnight, Newbury Kayak repaired it overnight and I was out paddling on Saturday! You just can't beat the quality and service. Footnote, I sent the suit in for pressure testing and they called me to tell me it was a warrantee replacement and to pick a suite out! 

Doug! Nice to find you here. Welcome to NSPN. Lots of great people here of every level of ability and experience. See you on the water- if not before.

Dana