Wed Lunch Paddle HOPEFULLY 8/12/20

Joseph Berkovitz

Thinking launch from Pebble Beach, Rockport (Granite Pier as alternate), low tide lunch at Thacher.  Hard to find launch spots these days, tired of west end of Salem Sound, and don't want to climb over an acre of rockweed for lunch.  Details to follow...

7 minutes ago, JaneC said:

Old knees and balky balance vote for granite pier as well

If Pebble Beach the choice by some, Jane, we don't have to do it!  We could have a Granite Pier contingent.  I'd,be interested in going around Halibut Point down to Lane,s,Cove to see what the parking situation really is!  

Sue and I are conspiring on this trip. We’ve launched from GP twice lately and were going to try something different, but GP is indeed an easy launch with plenty of parking, so we’ll go there again. Bring $12 exact. 

OK, let's go...

We'll meet by 9:30 at Granite Pier, Rockport.  Drop boats and gear near the ramp, pay $12 at the shack and get a hang tag, park up top.  Clean porta-potty available.

Small tides, low at noon.  S wind 9 to 11 kt.  A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after noon.  Seas around 2 ft.  Would be nice to head out to Straitsmouth, enjoy the rocks on the outside, hug the coast to Loblolly Cove to get some lee, cross to Thacher for lunch, explore, and ride the tailwind back to Straitsmouth.  Weather and group will determine what we actually do, of course.  Landing on Thacher is on the wood boat ramp, good at all tides.  Island is open, but buildings are closed.  No fee to land this year.  Masks required on the island.

Sign waiver and register at https://forms.gle/FqMez5PbURmyashD7  PM me with any questions or if you haven't paddled with me before.

Mike,

Is it a safe assumption that we'll be practicing COVID-19 protocols as on past Wednesday Lunch Paddles  as highlighted below? 

Covid-19 paddling: on this trip we will strictly observe social distancing and MA state recreational boating guidelines for the pandemic. Please research and respect all regulations that apply at the time of the paddle. In particular, we will stay at least 6 feet apart, minimize sharing docks and ramps with others, and wear face masks while off the water in public use areas—no exceptions on mask wearing except for a medical reason.

Thanks!

If I may chime in here (without speaking for Mike): last Wednesday, one member of our party — I won't name them — did not wear a mask. Although many of the local beachgoers did not wear masks either, let's avoid this in the future. The town has seen an uptick in Covid-19 cases and the health board is explicitly asking for masks to be worn in public (see https://www.marblehead.org/home/news/maskupmhd). Let's do what they're asking us to do, it's not much.

It's a bit late to redo this week's signup form, but next week I plan on including an explicit question asking attendees to agree to mask up on beaches and launch areas. Check the box if you want to go on the trip. If you prefer to assert your personal freedom to do whatever you want, that's totally fine: no contact no foul, and please find another group to paddle with.

David, yes, absolutely.  I didn't mention it because by now it seems like telling you that you have to wear pants.  If we didn't practice safe procedures, or if I didn't think my fellow paddlers did so in the rest of their lives, I wouldn't come to a paddle, let alone initiate one.

If you or anyone is uncomfortable at any point, I'd expect you to speak up without explanation or justification, and for your concerns to be met without question or comment.  We care too much for each other to do otherwise.

Speaking of safety, I see that everyone seems to be bringing Cetuses tomorrow, and we might have to skedaddle off the water to avoid tstorms.  I'll leave the plastic boat at home and try to stay out of the rocks for once.