Greenhead flies

midtempo

Were you brave enough to kayak in Essex Bay, Annisquam, Hampton Harbor, Great Marsh, or other area salt marsh?  If so then please give a report on the greenhead fly situation and when you went.  Every year is different and their decline is supposed to start shortly.

Yesterday 7/31/2020. I paddled down the parker river from newbury kayak. Paddled the back of plum island to sandy point. Spent much of the day there before paddling back with the tide and saw maybe 3 greenheads all day. 

I will add that I just spent hours in Essex Bay and along Crane Beach on Saturday, August 1.  I did not encounter a single greenhead until I attempted to kayak in 6-inch creeks during low tide, and I had to drag my kayak occasionally.  This was due to my own poor timing and unwillingness to wake up very early to take advantage of the highest tides.  (My kayak can actually float in as little as 3 inches of water.)

During normal kayaking and beach, I did not see any greenheads.  I was heartened by the good reports on the Twitter feed for Crane Beach about the greenheads, and they were right, there are barely any anymore this year.  I encourage anyone who wants to kayak deep into the marshes to do so.