Finishing a paddleboard

Lisa

Hi all,  I have a friend who is nearly finished building a stand up paddle board. He is stuck on the final trim pieces that go on the edge of the paddle board. The wood is thin, tapers in size and kind of wraps around to give a rounded finish. Does anyone have experience with this process or suggestions. Also, he is thinking he may have someone else do the epoxy process.  Is there anyone or place that does this? 

Thanks in advance. 

Lisa

I guess that's me. I have built many kayaks and one SUP. The SUP was very time consuming and the side rails are the hardest part. Really all you are doing is making a skeleton and covering it with enough wood that you can fair it down and epoxy without it getting paper thin. Must be straight and symmetrical also..

Some pictures would help. Knowing what design? There are different side rail methods. Which does he have? 

I have used over 30 gallons of epoxy and many yards of fiberglass so maybe I could help.

There are online and social media support groups and message boards for this also.

Suppose this could be a plug for more wood kayak repair work? PM FMI and contact, 

thanks,

PS....Can't see ever building another SUP as they can't compete with imports at $1000 and 25 pounds. Contacted Portsmouth Paddle SUP shop and they had sold out all inventory and just received 135 that are pre sold. They told me I was out of luck until late July/Aug.

Thanks Paul. I appreciate your advice and help. I passed the info along. He decided to have a someone finish it for him. He did get a good chuckle out of the cost to build one vs buy one and that you would not do it again. Have a great holiday weekend. TY