Cape Ann put-ins status regarding resident-only or other restrictions

Ray Sims

The last time I checked, Essex has not put up permanent signs around Conomo Point saying that it's resident-only parking.  They have so far only used temporary barricades.  So there is hope for my favorite launch to become usable again, but we'll have to see next year.  Like you, I am pessimistic about the issue.  Once town meeting votes for something and the residents get used to it, they don't want to go back.  Town governments are not populated by citizens who advocate for the rights of nonresidents to use their land, and nonresidents have no say in their affairs.  It's a sad situation.

While there are bike advocacy organizations who are getting things done, the "boater advocacy" or "paddler advocacy" machine is either nonexistent or very weak.  I suppose it could start with us next year if the situation doesn't improve next year and it's post-pandemic.

<You can park across from Farnham's for free to launch...>

You know, this is inappropriate advice because -- if you care to take a close look -- there are clear signs on the road saying "State Highway: No Parking" and, every now and again, quite at random, you <will> find police issuing tickets to those who park there.  In addition, this is the very first time in over twenty years that I have heard of anyone putting-in at Farnhams.  I think it should be discouraged: we will soon wear out our welcome (if, indeed, there <is> any!)

Many of us remember when you could launch directly from Clammer's Beach, and park along the road across from it without penalty. It was an ideal situation for paddling in the marshes and heading over to Crane's Beach. Sadly, those days disappeared about 16 years ago, and being able to drop your boat, then park in the legal visitor area was a poor substitute but at least you could still launch.

With all due respect,  I think you might look at things from the taxpayers -- and Essex has one of the higher residential rates in the area -- POV. It's their town and their beach, and they would like to have first dibs on it rather than having to share space and parking with out-of-towners. While out-of-towners bring income into the town by dining in the restaurants and shopping in the antique stores, that money isn't viewed as a reason to grant non-residents town resident/taxpayer privileges.

I've lived in seaside towns for most of my life and I fully understand the oft-times town vs visitor situation.  As Gloucester residents, we can't buy a sticker for the season and thus park in Essex where we'd prefer.  However, Essex residents, in fact any one from any town or city in MA can purchase a beach/parking sticker and therefore enjoy launching or going to the beach in Gloucester. Granted, the price is high; last I checked it was $150 vs $20 for residents, and $2 or $3 for seniors, good for two years.  The fee provides revenue for the city, along with the, admittedly low, residential taxes we pay.

I get your frustration, but please try and understand why Essex is what it is, and don't blame the residents or town meeting for what's happening with launching and parking. Trust me, I don't like not being able to launch from Clammers and have somewhat convenient parking, but I also find myself annoyed when my husband and I go down to Lanes' Cove or the Greasy Pole, and up not being able to paddle on an optimum day and on an optimum tidal cycle.  Why? Because all the parking spaces near the launch are taken up by, presumably, non-residents, whether they're enjoying Pavilion Beach or paddlers wanting to explore the harbor or head down to Manchester.

And... there is at least one "Residents Only Parking" sign at Lanes Cove for a few weeks now. You've been warned.

There are no easy fixes, perhaps, but if every town "solves" the problem by reserving their public shoreline for use by residents only... what kind of situation will we have? It will no longer be a public shoreline. A $150 sticker for nonresidents does not anount to public shoreline access.

Massachusetts established the first public beach in the United States in 1896: Revere Beach. I hope we don't wind up closing the last beaches in the state to the public in the wake of Covid.

On 8/13/2020 at 2:51 PM, midtempo said:

About 3 weeks ago I used the main Manchester boat ramp (Church Street) for free.  Parking for nonresidents is only two hours though, so you should park elsewhere.  I parked at the nearby train station without incident.  The Manchester boat ramp is further inside in the harbor than Tuck's Point, but it's still a good launch.

Today my wife and I did the same without any fees or issue. The walk to the train station from the boat ramp takes only a few minutes and at least today, mid-week, there were many empty parking places in the lot. The lot is marked as "commuter rail parking only" (see photo); however, I doubt that it sees any policing now when so few people are commuting and there are empty places in the middle of the day...so a kayaker isn't taking anything away from commuters. We had an easy paddle around Misery Island and the small islands off Gales Point...this is still one of my favorite places around Cape Ann.

IMG_5133.JPG

• On 8/18/2020 at 7:30 PM, Pintail said:

<You can park across from Farnham's for free to launch...>

You know, this is inappropriate advice because -- if you care to take a close look -- there are clear signs on the road saying "State Highway: No Parking" and, every now and again, quite at random, you <will> find police issuing tickets to those who park there.  In addition, this is the very first time in over twenty years that I have heard of anyone putting-in at Farnhams.  I think it should be discouraged: we will soon wear out our welcome (if, indeed, there <is> any!

• If you look at Google Street view, or actually check out the spaces in question along Route 133 directly across from Farnham's, you will see that those spaces aren't posted at all.  But they are directly along Route 133 so they are not restaurant parking.  Other people park there all the time and there is even a crosswalk there.  Most of the rest of Route 133 is indeed posted for no parking.

I've parked there twice this year, and that's how I know it's kosher.  No tickets, no fuss.  It's actually pretty funny because the diners see you pulling your kayak out of the water while they are eating or waiting for their food, and it makes for a good start for a conversation and adds to the atmosphere that the diners appreciate.  Everyone who I've talked to so far thinks it's a pretty nifty idea.

I've yet to see someone else launch there though.  Should we discourage its use?  Most years I'd say yes so people can park for dining.  But there is no alternative now, so I think it's fair.  You haven't heard about it because this is the first year that it's literally been the only public launch on Essex Bay that a non-resident can use.  To make Essex Bay a shore accessible to residents only is an infuriating situation.  I'm only letting it slide because of COVID-19, which is (hopefully) a temporary situation.  And I've discovered an alternative that still allows me to launch.

Next year if the entirety of Essex Bay is inaccessible to nonresidents to launch a kayak, you bet your patooie I'll be making a fuss.  Like Joseph Berkowitz said, what if every town made their shore only accessible to their own residents?  Goodbye, public beaches.  I'm afraid that's where we appear to be headed and I'm keeping an eye on it.

I think it a good idea  that anyone who has found a semi-legal, possibly illegal parking/launch spot they NOT post it on the NSPN website.  I know folks are trying to be helpful ;but as a club we’ve been trying to stick to the letter of the law in this pandemic.  I think we all fear that all launches will become inaccessible. 

Thank you Bob for your update on put-ins in Gloucester. I am glad to know that the City officials are trying to protect the health and well-being of  their community members.

I have been to the high school parking lot.  There is a small parking section for people to launch their kayaks - barely two cars. The section is by the small beach on the river - not near the boat launch -- you take your boat through  tall grass, bushes and over a guard rail to get to the beach to put your boat in the water -- I am sure you know where I am  talking about.  

Other than that section - it is not clear if non-resident kayakers can park their car at the high school.

I do  know that the Police tow cars at the high school. If you park beside the tennis courts fence - you will get towed.  The signs are small so they are easy to miss. To retrieve your car from the tow company -- you have to go to Rockport - an unpleasant and expensive way to end a day of paddling.

Having that in mind, do you know if they only ticket non-residents or is their a chance you can get towed?  

Beach access is set by the town or city. The beaches in those municipalities essentially belong to the citizens and not the state. Yes, Revere Beach and the beaches in South Boston are public; I think Horseneck in Westport is also a state beach,. However, this ownership means that the Commonwealth is responsible for their maintenance; if things got out of hand, the state could legally shut them down. 

Do I like not being able to paddle in Maine or, it seems, RI,?  We love paddling in Maine and RI, and miss launching from Conomo or Pavilion in Ipswich so we can paddle over to Cranes or play in the chop off the end of Plum Island, too. Because of Covid, these possibilities are closed to all of us who kayak. Hopefully, things will open up again once the virus comes under control as the infection rates continue to drop. However, complaining to the Commonwealth or to the town or city most likely would not work, given that, as I've written, access is controlled by those town or cities and the beaches are not public.

A little bit about Conomo Point. It's a small community, composed of year rounders and summer people, and with its own combination of widgets. Essex itself has defined itself as being two parts: northern Essex, which is closest to Hamilton, and southern Essex, which is closest to Gloucester, and, obviously, includes Conomo Pt. I have friends who grew up in this town and were from the northern part, who were told they couldn't swim at Conomo because they were "from the wrong part of the town and therefore had no right to be there." While this was many years ago, and was illegal in the sense that their parents paid taxes etc to the town, it does give one a sense of the mindset of the community.

"Not true.  You can park at official boat ramp and the little dirt lot where many of us park to launch.  Only restriction is parking on roads leading in and out, where you can't park in front of peoples' houses."

Hey Prudence,

The bright orange Residents Only sign is in front of the little dirt lot. I don't know about enforcement but I'd be careful and avoid weekends.

16 minutes ago, Bob C said:

"Not true.  You can park at official boat ramp and the little dirt lot where many of us park to launch.  Only restriction is parking on roads leading in and out, where you can't park in front of peoples' houses."

Hey Prudence,

The bright orange Residents Only sign is in front of the little dirt lot. I don't know about enforcement but I'd be careful and avoid weekends.

Thanks for update, Bob.  Those signs weren’t there last week.  And so the noose tightens...?.

Hi Leslie!

I investigated parking spots at and on my return from PT (for a nearly-healed torn rotator cuff followed by lower back muscle spasms, which is why I haven't been paddling yet this season --- Conomo Point was going to be the site of my rehab paddles). Mike Habich also knows this PT practice. ? 

Manchester Train Station: This is actually where I park for PT. Numbered spaces are assigned to tenants. Don't park there. Spaces in front of the shops are posted ONE HOUR PARKING. Evidently it is enforced. The train parking lot is checked, albeit randomly. Rating: Park at your own risk.

Masconomo Park (just down the street, opposite 60 Beach Street): In times past the parking spaces around the perimeter were resident only and the 19 in the center were OK for non residents to park. You can launch at high tides over the rocks; it's a muddy slog at low tides. I don't know if the park is now residents only or not due to Covid19.

Gloucester High School: It's a state/municipal landing, or so says the sign. Access by Emerson Street ONLY (according to the sign I drove by on the way in). Parking: Open to all but most of the spaces are designated for vehicles with boat trailers. There is overflow parking under the trees across the street from the tennis courts, which might be OK for paddlers. On a weekday, you can probably sneak into the school lot a little further in BUT given precautions for Covid19, that may be prohibited once school opens. Landing Use: Drop your boat and gear on the grass by the ramp as quickly as you can and MOVE your CAR. Boaters have generally been friendly but you don't want to wear out your welcome.

As Christopher mentioned, the Greasy Pole/Pavilion launch site is open (I saw paddlers there yesterday) to all. Just be aware that parking is at a premium along the boulevard on weekends.

Bob

Here's a list, although it dates to 2005, of every beach and possible put in on the North Shore and Boston.

https://www.mass.gov/service-details/massachusetts-coast-guide-to-boston-and-the-north-shore-print-version-from-2005

There seems to be some confusion about "Beaches being closed to non-residents". This is reflective of the Covid-19 epidemic; whether it will become permanent is another matter. The main issue seems to be where you can park your car legally after dropping your kayak and gear off. A beach sticker entitles the bearer to PARK their car for free, and gives them access to the beach. Non-sticker holders have to pay a fee to a park, as exemplified by Good Harbor Beach in Gloucester. Conomo Pt, until the shutdown in March, had parking in designated areas, but no one was prohibited from using the beach. Singing Beach and Pavilion in Ipswich now have resident only parking and access, although it's my understanding, that you can park and launch at Deveraux in Marblehead by paying a fee.

Again, we're all in the same miserable boat about access to beloved launch sites being denied because of the virus. From what I'm reading, there's fear that the non-resident restrictions will be permanent and, if so, something has to be done. Unfortunately, beach access laws in Mass are confusing, somewhat archaic as they date from the 17th Century, and not always easily understood. A PRIVATE beach, such as you see in front of the big houses lining the shoreline in Manchester and Marblehead, has restricted down to the mean low tide line; technically you can't and shouldn't land there and have lunch or a bio-break any further than that if the beach is private.