RI boating access

josko

Yesterday (16/6) a RI policeman asked me to leave the beach parking lot on the Sakonnet because 'due to COVID, beach and boating access is for RI residents only'.  Heads-up if you're thinking of heading to a RI paddle with out of state plates.  If anybody knows when this will be lifted, I'd love to hear. 

Edited by josko

That's disappointing to hear. I know of a few people who have been regularly going to RI with no problems. Not sure where, but lucky for them, I guess. It's like a full time job looking for launches that are open to out-of-state and even in MA lots of places are residents only (of that town). Staying closer to home is not as easy as I thought it would be. Grrrr. I'd looked all over the RI State website and can't find anything about non-residents and boating (that isn't outdated). There was a 14-day quarantine a while ago, but I thought that had been lifted. Some beaches opened on June 1 and there are prices listed for residents, non-residents and seniors. I wonder if this policeman had the right to ask you to leave. 

Nancy

On 6/17/2020 at 7:56 PM, prudenceb said:

Yeah, was just talking to a MA resident today who was at Sakonnet with RICKA I think this wknd with no problem...  But hard to think of driving all the way only to be kicked out.  Not worth taking the chance.

I was there last Saturday with RICKA -was parked with MA plates in one of the slots.  Police drove by several times but seemed to ignore me and my car.  There is nothing on the RI website about restrictions.

Parked today at Wilson Park in Kingston RI with my MA plate with no issue.  Saw an NJ and an CT plate in the lot also.  The most ironic thing is driving down to RI on I95, I saw four or five huge billboards in RI advertising a cannabis store in N. Attleboro MA.

-K