Shark bites boat

josko

David. We should add some reflective strips and put some balls from our pool tables into the empty hatches of our boats if we want to be better lures.  I have joked with a friend about posting nutritional information on the bottom of our boats. 

It's interesting we're seeing a consistent attack point on most kayak attacks, about 1/3 of the way from the paddler to the stern. I'd guess they see the boat as a long fish, and are trying to disable the propulsor.  Seal and swimmer bites seem to be further forward. 

• 2 weeks later...

Point I was trying to make: if we know a great white will bite your boat just behind the day hatch and then retreat, can that help us mentally prepare for such an incident?

It certainly has helped me to mentally prepare, although I still have no solution for being a mile or more offshore and having a GWS “test bite” cause catastrophic damage to my ski.  I certainly don’t want to be treading water next to my submerged craft when it comes back around to follow up on its work.  Maybe I should carry a roll of duct tape with me just in case?

I’m hopeful that all of the lion’s mane jellies are keeping the sharks away from surface-based  travelers for now — I counted over 50 today in a single 5k leg.

Matt

My babies almost grew up on the beaches right there!  Just out of shot, picture-left, is the airfield out of which I used to fly...

It is curious to me that he was carrying a fishing rod, taped to his aft deck: perhaps the sardines were running and he had intended to do some trawling?  When that happens (May-July) the density of predators goes way up.  For surfers, the Durban beaches are mostly protected by nets (but not Umhlanga).