Essex Bay and Conomo Point

midtempo

No, I mean it will take a coordinated, national effort to eradicate this virus (isolation, vaccine, treatment) . A bloody Civil War proved that individual states cannot solve national problems.

Right now the individual states in the Northeast have a coordinated effort that has the rates in NE, NY, and NJ the lowest in the US but other states have to institure the same measures. The worst positive test rate is 79% in a no-mask, no social distancing state. Being in a high-risk group, I don't like those odds.

• 8 months later...

I am resurrecting this thread now that the ocean is almost warm enough to paddle in it without a wet suit.  (At 55 degrees don't do that yet!)  I would like to know what the parking status is near the launches in the Great Marsh and Cape Ann.  Especially Conomo Point - what's the status there?

I will be trying the nearby Essex County Greenbelt headquarters to park for launching in Essex Bay instead of Farnham's.  They are nearly next to each other.  I recently found out about this  launch site during the off-season and parking for kayakers is explicitly sanctioned by the reservation.  But still, Conomo Point is the ultimate and I wish they'd reopen that to nonresidents.

Lanes Cove is fine (at least on weekdays)  as long as you use the spaces right up against the sea wall in the state-owned lot at the end of Andrews St. There are residents-only sign nearby but they do not apply to the MA state boat access lot, only to the residential area around it.

on weekends I stay away as there’s just too much competition for spaces. 

Conomo Point is STILL closed to non resident parking. Even the limited parking that was available appears to have been removed (signs changed). Essex is known for aggressive parking and speed enforcement (i.e., revenue enhancement).

Sorry!

-Bob

That's sad about Conomo Point.  It was good while it lasted.  At least Long Wharf in Gloucester never changed – free parking for all boaters, resident or nonresident.  How is Pavilion Beach in Ipswich?

I am an Ipswich resident.  The town has stated Pavilion Beach will be residents only on weekends this summer but open to all mid-week

A great alternative to Pavilion is to launch at Eagle Hill landing (on any tide) and park your car over on Jefferies Neck Road next to the water (Eagle Hill Creek).  If you time it right you can put in or pull out on Jefferies Neck Rd. when the tide is high and then use Eagle Hill landing for the other end of your trip. I posted a good description on the paddling.net app for this location back in 2011, see "Eagle Hill Creek", post by Fishingman in the Go Paddling App or on the paddling.com website under "Go Paddle > Paddling Locations Map".  I do not believe there is any restriction for non-residents to park on Jefferies Neck Rd or put-in / Pull-out at Eagle Hill Landing.

1 hour ago, Doug Cooke said:

I am an Ipswich resident.  The town has stated Pavilion Beach will be residents only on weekends this summer but open to all mid-week

A great alternative to Pavilion is to launch at Eagle Hill landing (on any tide) and park your car over on Jefferies Neck Road next to the water (Eagle Hill Creek).  If you time it right you can put in or pull out on Jefferies Neck Rd. when the tide is high and then use Eagle Hill landing for the other end of your trip. I posted a good description on the paddling.net app for this location back in 2011, see "Eagle Hill Creek", post by Fishingman in the Go Paddling App or on the paddling.com website under "Go Paddle > Paddling Locations Map".  I do not believe there is any restriction for non-residents to park on Jefferies Neck Rd or put-in / Pull-out at Eagle Hill Landing.

Good to know. Are you sure about any tide for EagleHill landing? Where would you park?

Yes, I have parked at Jeffrey's Neck Road several times.  That part of the Great Marsh is a good paddling area.  But that launch is more of a trip if you're trying to get out toward the Crane Beach and Sandy Point area instead of the Great Marsh, requiring you to traverse through a harbor area with many moored boats.  It's still doable but just adds some time to a trip -- maybe a half hour paddle in each direction.

On 5/26/2021 at 8:26 PM, midtempo said:

I am resurrecting this thread now that the ocean is almost warm enough to paddle in it without a wet suit.  (At 55 degrees don't do that yet!)  I would like to know what the parking status is near the launches in the Great Marsh and Cape Ann.  Especially Conomo Point - what's the status there?

I will be trying the nearby Essex County Greenbelt headquarters to park for launching in Essex Bay instead of Farnham's.  They are nearly next to each other.  I recently found out about this  launch site during the off-season and parking for kayakers is explicitly sanctioned by the reservation.  But still, Conomo Point is the ultimate and I wish they'd reopen that to nonresidents.

Thanks midtempo for posting this thread.  I've never paddled Essex Bay, but it sounds ideal.  Please let us know if you were able to park at the Greenbelt?

Greenbelt HQ is a great site. Deb and I have walked through the woods to the put-in from the rear field once -- it's a bit of a long portage if you're carrying a boat so be prepared. I think the put-in is called Clamshell Beach -- I was told when I guided for ERBA that it was the location of an old Indian shell heap but who knows.

I'd go there in advance to scope out parking to see where paddlers are allowed to park. You probably need to be a member but it's a great cause (we're members) and you get lots of neat places to visit plus spring's "Art In The Barn".

- Bob

• 2 months later...

Parking at Essex County Greenbelt headquarters is free for the public.  I used it a few weeks ago.  There is a one minute walk from where you unload your kayak, and a five minute walk from where you must park. It should be good to launch at all tides because you walk on rocks to get to the launch on the Essex River.  I added the site to paddling.com.

19 hours ago, midtempo said:

Parking at Essex County Greenbelt headquarters is free for the public.  I used it a few weeks ago.  There is a one minute walk from where you unload your kayak, and a five minute walk from where you must park. It should be good to launch at all tides because you walk on rocks to get to the launch on the Essex River.  I added the site to paddling.com.

Was just there today scouting wo kayak. I read somewhere your can drive down and drop your gear then go back and park. The parking spot that would be closest to the launch had been blocked with a pile of dead brush. The access doesn't look wheel friendly so be prepared to carry your boat though a little bit of woods and down some weathered bedrock.