Essex Bay and Conomo Point

midtempo

The trip through Essex Bay launching at Conomo Point in Essex, with a stay at Crane Beach, is my absolute favorite kayak trip I have taken so far.  I haven't yet started ocean kayaking this year but will in a few weeks.  I visited Conomo Point on Saturday to scope out the area because I was in the neighborhood.  Unfortunately, it looks like the town of Essex has closed Conomo Point to people who are not residents of Essex:

https://www.essexma.org/home/news/revised-april-27-covid-related-restrictions-relative-visitation-and-re-occupancy-conomo

They essentially made Conomo Point a gated community this summer.  This is a real bummer, because this is the best access to Essex Bay for kayaks.  There is access in downtown Essex too, but it requires going a long way down the Essex River and usually past lots of motor boats and their wakes.  This is an unpleasant experience when paddling in a kayak.

If anyone has any other ideas for launching into Essex Bay, preferably within an hour's paddle from Crane Beach at an easy pace, please let me know.  There don't seem to be any other good launches into Essex Bay other than Conomo Point or downtown Essex.  I don't want a launch that requires going through open waves like Ipswich Bay.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same question as you, as I just bought a paddle board and would love to get out to this area. 

Could you do it the other way around? Put in at Crane and paddle around bay from there?

It looks like there’s a dock off Argilla Road right before beach parking lot, but no clue if able to access. 

Looking at the map, the end of Island Road in Essex looks like a good launch possibility.  Mhabich, have you actually used that launch before?  I don't know if parking is allowed in that neighborhood, but I'll definitely check it out.  The approach to the creek from Island Road looks like it could be muddy though, especially if it's not high tide upon launch. If Island Road doesn't work then a last-ditch idea is the bridge on Route 133 around the Farnham's restaurant looks like it could work too.  I know I can park around there... if a space is available.  Farnham's can be pretty busy sometimes.

Yes, SupSalem, you can launch from Crane Beach if you pay the Trustees $30 at the parking lot.  And you will have to launch on Ipswich Bay which is in unprotected waters.  So no, Crane Beach is not a great launch.  There is also a boat dock on the back of Castle Island that you can access from Argilla Road in Ipswich.  But that is only allowed for certain people, I believe people who have a mooring near that dock.  That dock is not open to the public.

Keep in mind that certain parts of Essex Bay can get overrun with greenhead flies from approximately July 5 until August 5, although the areas of open water may be free of them.  The dates and severity of the greenhead flies vary every year, and they are really nasty on Crane Beach and the worst on Choate Island.  For the uninitiated, greenhead flies do not spread diseases to people but their bites feel like a suddenly itchy sting and cause big welts.  They are big and they are nasty.

I hope I will be kayaking in the Essex Bay area sometime before my vacation starts on June 30, perhaps on Sunday June 21.  (I will be kayaking on the Cape from June 30 till July 5.)  I will report again how it goes when I paddle Essex Bay. 

< This is an unpleasant experience when paddling in a kayak>  Really?  I always find boat wake...fun!

I daresay you could try what NSPNers often do and that is launch at Pavilion Beach, between the Great and Little Necks, Ipswich (Take Jeffrey's Neck Rd.).  You are on Plum Island Sound there, so you proceed to your right, into the river and then turn left almost immediately to find Fox Creek that links Essex Bay with the Ipswich river... 

By the way, Island Road ramp is too tide-dependent to be useful.  It dries out completely there.

Edited by Pintail

Unfortunately my wife is not ready to be paddling in the unprotected waters of Ipswich Bay.  So we can't do Pavilion Beach together, at least not in that direction.  Also someone was saying in another thread that Pavilion Beach is now open to Ipswich residents only.  I'm fine with boat wakes although my wife is scared of them.  But she hasn't used her new kayak with its better handling in the ocean yet, until this upcoming weekend.  The only ocean kayaking she has ever done is from Long Wharf in Gloucester last year in a big-box store kayak.  She has otherwise stuck to rivers and the occasional pond.

I will check out Island Road and Route 133 near Farnham's though. If I have to bail on Essex then I'll be disappointed but will do Jeffrey's Neck Road/Eagle Hill instead.  I have seen that road open with lots of parked cars, but that's a different area that is not in Essex Bay.

As well as the tidal considerations, parking at Island road is limited. Be respectful of locals. 133 around Farnham’s is a good place to get your car towed, as the signs suggest. 

There are significant currents between Pavilion Beach and the tip of Plum Island. 

You two would do well to practice rescues and basic strokes before venturing onto the ocean in your new boats. 

I am hoping to make it to Chebacco Lake next Thursday now that that event has finally resumed.  I have it marked on my calendar.  It might be a bit difficult to make it for 5; I am hoping that starting at 6 is okay or I'll try to make it earlier if possible.  Although her kayak new and is her second, mine is not and I have used it for a few years now and I have successfully done a few (practice) self-rescues.

As for Route 133 in Essex, I just checked out Google Street View there.  There are limited spaces across from Farnham's on the shoulder of Route 133.  Granted the intent is for customers of Farnham's to park there, but it's just the street shoulder and the parking would be open to the public unless signed otherwise, which it's not.  So it looks kosher to part there.  I would arrive around 10:00 anyway.  That launch is definitely not as nice a launch as Clammer's Beach and appears to be tidal, but it's well-located and it will do.

I paddled Essex Bay today starting at 10:30 from Farnham's.  I can confirm that launching from there is permissable and convenient – just park on the gravel shoulder on Route 133 across from Farnham's.  While I was launching, someone from Farnham's asked whether I was the person who parked in their lot.  I said no, I parked on Route 133.  She said that is okay.

Be aware that parking may be difficult to find anytime around lunch, dinner, and anywhere in between on summer weekends.  They open at 11:00.

The creek there is perfectly navigable during most tides.  I'm not quite sure about low tide but it appears that 4 hours before or after high tide should be fine for navigation.

• 1 month later...

I am dredging this topic to remark on the Island Road launch in Essex.  I was just there on Saturday.  Although there appear to be about 12 spaces available around there, it's clearly posted as "sticker parking only" for Essex residents.  So this is not a viable alternative for launching within Essex Bay and shouldn't be suggested.

I continue to launch at Farnham's instead without incident.

Hi Midtempo, have a look at Jones landing, Gloucester. Parking is available and you are launching into the protected waters of the Annisquam. Its not Essex Bay but its lovely. Stay in the back side or paddle just out of the mouth to the light house for a little "taste" of Ipswich Bay. You can't land at Wingearsheek Beach but there are sand bars further up where you can get out and stretch. I think you can launch on any tide though it may be a bit of a walk at the ebb- I recall the bottom beyond the ramp being hard rather than shoe sucking mud so still manageable. Maybe others can weigh in on that? Be aware there are currents, especially over the shallows near the mouth but that is also true of Essex Bay. I was out today and can report the Greenhead threat has subsided for the season.

On 8/2/2020 at 6:01 PM, dsigall said:

Hi Midtempo, have a look at Jones landing, Gloucester. Parking is available and you are launching into the protected waters of the Annisquam. Its not Essex Bay but its lovely. Stay in the back side or paddle just out of the mouth to the light house for a little "taste" of Ipswich Bay. You can't land at Wingearsheek Beach but there are sand bars further up where you can get out and stretch. I think you can launch on any tide though it may be a bit of a walk at the ebb- I recall the bottom beyond the ramp being hard rather than shoe sucking mud so still manageable. Maybe others can weigh in on that? Be aware there are currents, especially over the shallows near the mouth but that is also true of Essex Bay. I was out today and can report the Greenhead threat has subsided for the season.

We launched from Jones Landing on Saturday. To avoid a long walk, launch 2 hours before/after low tide. Footing is solid sand. Note that if you go on a weekend, you will run into a TON of loud, stinky boat traffic. They are moving slow, so it never felt dangerous, but it's not peaceful (still a pretty area though). Also upsetting to see the flotillas of boats with zero social distancing. COVID central. Winds and seas were mellow, so we paddled over to lunch on Crane Beach, then into Essex Bay for a calm, gorgeous paddle around Choate Island.

So, a highly recommended--weekday--paddle. 

Yes, I know about Long Wharf/Jones River landing.  I use it all the time, probably over 6 times this summer so far.  If you see me around with a blue fiberglass 14' kayak, that's me.

I've relaxed at the boaters' side of Wingaersheek Beach before, but I've found that the extra effort to go a little beyond there to the next beach, Coffin's Beach, is worth it.  Although it's a public beach, Coffin's Beach has no parking lot so it's a long, peaceful beach with nice water on Ipswich Bay.  For some reason, there aren't a lot of boaters hanging out here.  The boaters seem to prefer the nearby Crane or Wingaersheek Beaches.  You will have plenty of space and the obnoxious boat partiers / coronavirus spreaders are nowhere to be found at Coffin's.

Essex Bay is a bit of a far round-trip paddle from Long Wharf, but it's doable if you want a workout.  Until they reopen Conomo Point to nonresidents (maybe next summer), I still prefer launching at Farnham's for Essex Bay.  Downtown Essex is still closed to nonresidents who want to launch a boat.  So far, Essex Bay is the most beautiful coastal area I've seen in Massachusetts; it's even better than what I've seen so far on the Cape.

On 8/13/2020 at 2:41 PM, midtempo said:

So far, Essex Bay is the most beautiful coastal area I've seen in Massachusetts; it's even better than what I've seen so far on the Cape.

I completely agree, it's amazingly peaceful (generally, depending where you are) and just stunning. One of my favorite places to paddle period.

On the Cape, I've found Salt Pond Bay/Nauset marsh to be equally beautiful.  

Edited by BLConaway

As a Gloucester local, here's the score as I know it:

Essex: All Residents-only parking at the usual launches during the pandemic. At Conomo Point, someone WILL call the police if you try to sneak in. Just a prediction. Most of the properties there have been in the same families for generations. The town landing (next to the Essex Shipyard Museum on Rt133) is also closed to non-residents.

Ipswich: Pavilion Beach is now posted as residents-only and has been for weeks. This will probably be for the duration of the pandemic. The TTOR Dock on the Essex Bay side of Crane's Beach has NEVER been open to the public nor has the beach there ever been open as a put in.

Gloucester: Lanes Cove is NOW posted Resident Parking Only. Good Harbor Beach is by reservation only for non-residents and residents-only most weekends -- and the residents interviewed on TV were overjoyed at having room to social distance. Pavilion Beach (aka Greasy Pole) isn't restricted yet but parking IS limited and EVERYONE in town seems to park there to go for a walk, usually accompanied by their dog. I haven't checked out the high school.

The reason for these residents-only restrictions is limited beach/parking space and a need for social distancing. That is, IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU!

<Good Harbor Beach is by reservation only for non-residents and residents-only most weekends>

Well, Bob, your summary is welcome enough; but Good Harbour has never <been> available to boaters whatsoever.  Try paddling anywhere close to it and you will get yelled at by the lifeguard, so putting-in or taking-out there is out of the question.

Pintail, LOL, we know first hand about paddling too close to swimmers, although this was years ago,at WIngasheek, and the teenage lifeguard really got his baggies in a knot when he claimed we were endangering swimmers. Truthfully, our group was well away from those enjoying the water, but, hey, testosterone is your friend when you're 18 and there are ladies present.

I think Bob meant that TRYING, let alone even THINKING about launching off Good Harbor during beach season is not allowed, although I've read here that it's been proposed for trips. In the past, during storms, we've had friends surf off of Wingasheek, but that was well in the off season. I've tried, in my naive, early surf kayak days, surfing at Good Harbor, along with a few others, but, again, this was well before beach season when we could, indeed, present a hazard to swimmers.

Lanes Cove, Gloucester, this morning.

TEMPORARY RESIDENTS ONLY PARKING signs posted in four places: the boat ramp, the shed on the pier, the pier itself, and along the road near the "steps" down to the water. 

IMG_0911.JPG

IMG_0907.JPG

IMG_0908.JPG

IMG_0909.JPG

19 hours ago, Deb M said:

Ah, but look on the bright side, Prudence. It's TEMPORARY, and when the virus is beaten, or as beaten as it's going to be, normalcy will be restored.?

We all hope!... but fear that temporary may have a way of lingering...  For example, when October rolls around and big boats have been pulled from the water and sunbathing and ocean swimming are in the rear view mirror, will those signs come down?  We'll see...  ???

I have been pretty sympathetic to the locals argument throughout but I totally agree with Prudence, come the end of summer will be the test.  When these places are empty in the fall and the signs remain it will really make one wonder if the obvious need for social distancing with summer crowds didn’t, in fact, turn out to be rather handy for those wanting to implement some real “social distancing”.

I expect the city to leave the signs up until the pandemic is over and I don't think that has a chance of happening until some time after January 20th.

With luck.