Werner paddle locking button

Has anyone found a way to keep these from needing to be flushed with hot water weekly? Great product but this seems to be a real design flaw.

Edited by Jim Snyder
punctuation

Never try to lubricate with anything.  Rinse with fresh water.  Pick parents that give you the genetics such that you  have at least one long finger so you can stick a finger in it and unstick it if you have to.  ?

Given that paddle length is not adjustable, and that the connection wears out (loosens and starts clicking) in a couple years' use, I;d say this is an obsolete design worth staying away from. 

Edited by josko

I know Werner says don't lubricate the mechanism but I'm tempted to try some dry lube on my spare paddle. The constant maintenance is too annoying.

Edited by Jim Snyder
Syntax

13 hours ago, Ken said:

Never try to lubricate with anything.  Rinse with fresh water.  Pick parents that give you the genetics such that you  have at least one long finger so you can stick a finger in it and unstick it if you have to.  ?

Always carry a wooden chopstick in your car.

• 3 weeks later...

I, too, have never had any problem with any of my Werner paddles -- and I dry them off post-paddling, after shaking out any water, rather than rinsing in (fresh) water.  (I hope I haven't spoken too soon, mind...)

On 5/30/2020 at 12:05 PM, Jim Snyder said:

So I checked my spare paddle which never gets used or rinsed after a trip on the deck and it operates as smooth as new.

I have had issues with sticky buttons on random paddles, and Werner replaces them under warranty. Worth giving them a call. 

On 6/17/2020 at 4:35 PM, rfolster said:

I have had issues with sticky buttons on random paddles, and Werner replaces them under warranty. Worth giving them a call. 

Rob, did you deal with them direct, or through a dealer? Did you have to ship the paddle back for button replacement?

I just noticed on the Werner website their warranty is only for one year. :(

Edited by josko

Hey Dave when I talked to them they wanted me to ship the paddle back to them and replace the mechanism for a large fee. Did you do the replacement? what is the process, I'm thinking it probably involves heat...

5 hours ago, josko said:

Rob, did you deal with them direct, or through a dealer? Did you have to ship the paddle back for button replacement?

I just noticed on the Werner website their warranty is only for one year. :(

Directly with Werner. I shipped the paddles ( pay for insurance when shipping paddles!!!). 

One year warranty is standard with most anything you buy these days. 

I guess I'll be dealing with Werner directly, too. This is what I got back from info@ospreyseaandsurf.com:

"The company that you purchased the paddle from, Osprey Sea Kayak Adventures, has gone out of business. We are in the process of opening up a new kayak business at the same location. Since this is not the same company, we don't have the sales records of any previous transactions. Do you have a receipt for the Werner Ikelos? How old is the paddle?

Due to delays with the pandemic, the business has not fully opened yet for the season. We are anticipating opening in a few weeks. Currently there is no one at the kayak shop as we work to get prepared for the season."

Josko, to clarify,  my issue was with the four piece where the moving part at the blade is metal and is a simple insert. Realized after posting yours may be the two piece and as Rob indicated needs to be shipped back.  Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/29/2020 at 4:43 PM, Jim Snyder said:

Has anyone found a way to keep these from needing to be flushed with hot water weekly? Great product but this seems to be a real design flaw.

Yes I had problem with my older werner paddle I use WD40 it helped. 

I've read that you never should use any lube at all.   When I get home, I rinse out both ends under the outdoor tap and on the button end, push the button a few times while rinsing.  It takes 10-15 seconds and since I started doing that, I've never had a problem.  Once I figured that out, very low maintenance effort.

• 1 month later...

I have a Werner Cyprus two piece and button works but it' been increasingly difficult to put together and take apart.  And now can't pull the two halves apart.  Any suggestions?  I've run hot water over the button, the joining bit and no luck.  Maybe I just need two strong people to do a tug of war on it?  Failing that, what can I do?  Btw, I've rinsed the paddle with fresh water after every paddle.  

Do you know the trick of using your knees to separate a stuck joint? If I had one that sticky I'd try 303 or some dry lube on it. 

Incidentally the paddle I was so frustrated with when I posted here has been working great lately. Go figure...