The latest on easing up in Maine

Cath

Gary:

It seems you are expected to self-quarantine upon entering Maine for 14 days before you are free to do what residents can do.  Not sure what that means about trips in remote locations, but you could not use lodgings or campgrounds prior to the 14 days expiring.

Pru:

This indicates the 14 day self-quarantine extends or at least may extend through August.  However, there are some internal inconsistencies on the subject.

https://www.maine.gov/governor/mills/news/governor-mills-presents-safe-gradual-plan-restart-maines-economy-2020-04-28

Ed Lawson

MITA has iinfo on status.  Driving up, launching, camping on most islands and then returning directly should not be a problem.  Staying ashore at campgrounds or other lodging will be problematic unless restrictions are eased.  Day trips should be OK.

Ed Lawson

7 minutes ago, EEL said:

Driving up, launching, camping on most islands and then returning directly should not be a problem. Ed Lawson

I had assumed that a solo safari would be OK, though I suspect I might face a little ?gentle inquiry from some when they see an out-of-state tagged car unloading paddling/camping gear.

Gotta get out there, but not until June 1:  https://mita.org/mita-and-covid-19/

g

Edited by gyork

I may have spoken too soon.  I was assuming the 14 day quarantine would not apply to day trips or off shore camping trips after June 1, but it appear that may well not be the case.

I know the 14 day quarantine now applies through August with respect to lodging in Maine.

Ed Lawson

I know MA is only allowing in-state registrations at beaches and parks, but I haven't heard of NH or ME adopting those regulations.  It might be worth calling the local Police Dept to see if they have any issues with out-of-state registrations parking in their town, especially overnight. 

• 2 weeks later...

This may only be of interest to soloists and couples, but recently there have been articles in Maine which indicates kayak-camping trips and day paddles are possible as I originally thought.

Basically, the 14 day self quarantine requirement means you cannot go to stores, etc. until you have self-quarantined for14 days, but you can engage in outdoor activities so long as you maintain necessary distances, etc.  In other words self-quarantine is not as restrictive as self-isolation which means you stay in one place and do not go outside.  Also, you do not need to stay for 14 days, but you must follow the quarantine rules while in Maine.  As part of the self-quarantine requirements, you must be completely self sufficient during the quarantine period.

I interpret this to mean if you can launch without being closely involved with a resident as in going into a commercial business or private residence to pay a launch/parking fee,  you stay away from others during the trip, you are totally self sufficient during the trip, and you travel directly to start and from end points of trip to your normal out of Maine residence; then you are complying with the Maine quarantine requirements as I have seen them explained.  You may well be questioned about what you are doing because my interpretation of the Maine quarantine requirements is most likely not be as they are generally understood to be, but I believe it to be consistent with the guidance given by the state officials.

Ed Lawson

1 hour ago, josko said:

What about something like getting gas or using a restroom while you're up there?

...or making the requisite stops @ Amato's, Standard Bakery, and Pat's Pizza. I don't really see how this could be enforceable?

6 hours ago, EEL said:

This may only be of interest to soloists and couples, but recently there have been articles in Maine which indicates kayak-camping trips and day paddles are possible as I originally thought.

Basically, the 14 day self quarantine requirement means you cannot go to stores, etc. until you have self-quarantined for14 days, but you can engage in outdoor activities so long as you maintain necessary distances, etc.  In other words self-quarantine is not as restrictive as self-isolation which means you stay in one place and do not go outside.  Also, you do not need to stay for 14 days, but you must follow the quarantine rules while in Maine.  As part of the self-quarantine requirements, you must be completely self sufficient during the quarantine period.

I interpret this to mean if you can launch without being closely involved with a resident as in going into a commercial business or private residence to pay a launch/parking fee,  you stay away from others during the trip, you are totally self sufficient during the trip, and you travel directly to start and from end points of trip to your normal out of Maine residence; then you are complying with the Maine quarantine requirements as I have seen them explained.  You may well be questioned about what you are doing because my interpretation of the Maine quarantine requirements is most likely not be as they are generally understood to be, but I believe it to be consistent with the guidance given by the state officials.

Ed Lawson

I shared Ed's comments above with an Allagash outfitter I've been corresponding with and his reply (I've bolded his salient point):

Hi Gary,

You sure have a valid argument (case).  I have not heard it explained this way, but I might repeat your explanation.  

You could pay North Maine Woods fees by phone with a credit card if this helps you.  Their phone number is 207-435-6213.

Please do not get me involved.

Best regards, 

Seriously, even if the Governor calls out the National Guard, there's no way they'll ever be able to enforce this so-called quarantine. It's aspirational at best and a joke at worst. If you stay away from people as much as possible and wear a mask when you must be around others, I seriously doubt that anyone is going to give you a hard time. The truth is, if the tourist season is a complete bust, the state is in deep trouble. The same is true here in NH, but at least our Governor is taking a more sensible approach.

I think that all states still have some limitations. 

My understanding is that New Hampshire state owned campgrounds are open to NH residents only and that commercial campgrounds in NH can only serve residents and those with season passes/leases. I am not clear on how long these restrictions last. From what I have read, NH is a bit worried about Massachusetts visitors but the governor is basing decisions on what he believes will hold up in court.  It seems that a lot of states are wary of encouraging travel and moving around.  I am not sure when camping and lodging will be available to out of state visitors in the rest of New England. 

Most states have initiated or requested a 14 day quarantine for out of state arrivals at some point. On March 27, Massachusetts required  a 14 day self quarantine for travelers from out of state, and on March 28 New Hampshire requested that out of state travelers follow a voluntary 14 day self quarantine. Maine announced the requirement on April 3. I am not sure when NH and MA are lifting the 14 day quarantine. I thought it was expected at least until the end of this month, but maybe someone can fill me in on that.  Maine may be slower to welcome short term visitors but is not the only state concerned about travel. 

It is true that the self quarantine requirements are not easy to enforce. It seems to be based on the honor system.  I guess it also depends on how assertive individual businesses decide to be, and maybe here and there how assertive the locals decide to be. There are plenty of out of state cars in Maine right now and for the most part we can't tell who has been here a while and who has not, once all the gear is unloaded anyway.   

I am not saying what is right or wrong and I can see that there can be some variations in interpretation.  I know that it is frustrating for everyone. Hang in there. We will be kayaking and camping together again.  

Just in case anyone misinterpreted my comments, you cannot stay/camp at a campsite/area open to only residents and those who have completed the 14 day quarantine in order to self quarantine.  For example, you must have done a 14 day quarantine before using a Allagash Wilderness Waterway campsite.

While some businesses in Maine are advocating the state remove the 14 day quarantine others are not.  The Gov. has said and it is understood that voluntary compliance is expected and law enforcement resources are not going to be used to chase down the inevitable scofflaws.  Does not mean you can ignore the rules.  Heard that on Vinalhaven a tree was dropped across a driveway as a subtle suggestion those from away staying there follow the rules.  Knowing how people feel here about early arriving summer folk, as they are called in polite conversation, did not surprise me.  Since I understand the feelings,  I doubt I will  be up in Maine kayaking till the quarantine is altered or eliminated even though I can see a technical way to do it and comply.

Ed Lawson

FWIW, MA requested that visitors quarantine for 14 days; at least that's what it says on the highway signboards. However, it's pretty pointless when a substantial number of visitors won't be staying that long. Do they honestly think that anyone who's going to MA, NH or ME for a day or a weekend is going to do nothing once they get there? No, they're going there to engage in a specific activity, probably one outdoors. Fortunately, that's one of the least likely places to get infected.

• 2 weeks later...

Like everyone else, I am not sure what the rules are in regards to outdoor camping on the islands  or a day trip kayak trip. 

I did notice that one Maine website indicated that all non-essential non-resident driving was prohibited inside the state was prohibited.  I have been thinking about a week day camping trip out to one of the islands, but I am also worried about my car with the NH  plates.  I think I will contact the local police station for info.