H1N1?? Let the debate start.

In the USA in 2009 H1N1 infected 20 Million Americans and killed 4K of them I believe? No media panic. No social panic. No social media mob for daring to color outside the lines. I have had enough of the media frenzy and only take the word of the medical community on Covid.

Today when we use language like "shelter in place" let us remember that is the language for active shooter situations. What message are we sending? Panic? Horde? 

I have stayed home and laid low now for a couple weeks. I have my bleach sprayer and rags when I go out to the store. Soon I will be on the water solo with no regrets. I know of put ins not usually used.

When they closed the beaches to walking that was too much IMO.

Edited by Paul Sylvester
One too many points...

I’m not OK with everything going on in media discourse land right now (and share your discomfort with the use of the phrase “shelter in place”). But... I don’t really see the point of having a debate just yet over a disease that is so incompletely understood. We are in the middle of something whose nature won’t be truly known until some months from now. Certainly it is a real thing, and a bad one. Panic won’t help here, any more than it would help in a situation on the ocean.

I am annoyed at the closure of put ins and beaches in my town, but I was even more annoyed at the people walking around failing to give me distance or (not making this up) giving each other fist bumps and laughing. Their behavior is probably what led to those closures. So I don’t mind being conservative right now with my recreation and my travel, in the hope that it helps make things a tiny bit better for everyone. It’s just not that big a thing for me to give up, in my ignorance of what really works.

Comparisons with H1N1 are something I would rather save for later, once we know the true scope and cost of Covid-19. Then we can compare facts with facts, not opinions. 

While the suffering of those with this disease is horrifying, even the worst case projections pale in comparison to what my imagination can conjure up for a pandemic. It seems  like we have more of a health care crisis than a health crisis. I learned a lot more here:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/26/coronavirus-may-be-deadlier-than-1918-flu-heres-how-it-stacks-up-to-other-pandemics.html

Agree we have a health care crisis on a few levels.

It is nice to see the Army Corps and others setting up facilities and mobilizing for NYC and getting the ships into LA and NY is great. I actually watched the news tonight..

Joe, Agree early comparisons should be avoided. My editor is of questionable value... 

Are you lot keeping abreast of the numbers of deaths in Europe?  Spain, for instance?  Now <there> are some figures to make you sit up and take notice!  And some leading American medical experts, interviewed by the BBC, are saying it is going to get <much> worse here before it gets better.  Pancake-makeup man is already having to eat his words of wisdom regarding his expected relaxation of lock-down by...Easter!

I have often said that I am not interested in cold-water paddling any more; but I am beginning to feel <very> tempted...

The only things keeping me from getting outside are work and the weather. Otherwise, it's business as usual on the recreation side for me. Getting out and away from home alone (or with Linda) and getting exercise in the open air and sunshine is the healthiest thing I can do for both my body and mind. When you're out in nature and alone, you're not going to catch anything and you're not going to give anything you do have to anyone else. These "stay at home" orders are useless BS if you're not trapped in a city. We're not on lockdown up here yet, but even if we were, it wouldn't matter to me. If you're not congregating with other people, you're not doing any harm and the benefits to your health are huge. Be smart and take care of yourself. Take care of others by avoiding them as much as possible for now. That's the responsible thing to do, IMO.

On 3/29/2020 at 4:52 PM, Paul Sylvester said:

In the USA in 2009 H1N1 infected 20 Million Americans and killed 4K of them I believe? No media panic. No social panic. No social media mob for daring to color outside the lines. I have had enough of the media frenzy and only take the word of the medical community on Covid.

Today when we use language like "shelter in place" let us remember that is the language for active shooter situations. What message are we sending? Panic? Horde? 

I have stayed home and laid low now for a couple weeks. I have my bleach sprayer and rags when I go out to the store. Soon I will be on the water solo with no regrets. I know of put ins not usually used.

When they closed the beaches to walking that was too much IMO.

Come on, man. I believe the domestic stats for H1n1 were 50-60 million infected and 10-12k deaths. That's a death rate of .0002. 

The seasonal flu is .001.  That's 5 times more deadly than H1n1.

The Covid estimates (I emphasize estimates) are around .01. That's ten times worse than the flu, 50 times more deadly than H1N1.

The beaches have been closed because of the fear of a 70 degree day rolling through and everyone flocking to them. 

Where are you getting your info?

7 hours ago, Mforti said:

Come on, man. I believe the domestic stats for H1n1 were 50-60 million infected and 10-12k deaths. That's a death rate of .0002. 

The seasonal flu is .001.  That's 5 times more deadly than H1n1.

The Covid estimates (I emphasize estimates) are around .01. That's ten times worse than the flu, 50 times more deadly than H1N1.

The beaches have been closed because of the fear of a 70 degree day rolling through and everyone flocking to them. 

Where are you getting your info?

Just got off the CDC site and I stand corrected on the stats for H1N1.  I can't argue or dispute seasonal flu or estimates for Covid. Time will tell on Covid and Sweden will be interesting to watch. 

I don't wait for 70 deg days to walk York beach. We walk them in the winter. If I can be trusted to grocery shop and do other essentials I think I can be trusted to keep my distance on the sidewalk and beach. Last Saturday Mt Major near me had a large number of cars overflowing down the street. Probably hundreds of hikers on  a one mile trail?

I have had many come close to me in the stores....sprayer of bleach awaits in my car...

I hope the mutual aid societies of AA and NA can figure this out online because these people depend on the groups meeting.