Corona Paddling

Jim Snyder

I'm starting this thread so we can keep each other informed about places that are available for launches and those that are not. The discussion about whether we should paddle can take place elsewhere.

I had unavoidable business in Gloucester this morning and hoped to launch solo out of Tuck's Point. When I arrived there was not only a "closed" sign but the entrances to the parking areas were blocked with boulders.

.IMG_1143.thumb.JPG.a97ba72914aa9bd244a2075af23883c7.JPG

Please post here if you find common launch sites either open or closed.

I think this is going to become more common for a while. 

Edited by Jim Snyder
ad text

I had hopes that the boat ramp at Odiorne would remain open. their website says they are but I called the Seacoast Office and they said the gate is closed for now. 

• 4 weeks later...

I was astonished to find the the Walden Pond boat ramp has been opened.  Although the first warm day with a thousand SUP's and rec boat paddlers vying for parking places and getting too close together trying to carry and launch craft I wonder whether DCR will reconsider wisdom of this.

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone confirm if the Riverhead Beach, Marblehead boat launch and parking are available? I believe that is a state launch and I think state launch sites are open??

• 2 weeks later...

All the launches on the Charles down where I live are open ... and packed.  I guess no one has anything else to do.  Parking fills up.  I had my wife drop me off and pick me up yesterday so i could do a stretch without having to try to park.

I read that the MA phase II tentative date is June 8.  That might ease up more stuff.  The 10-person group limit may be raised but they won't say now what whether the limit will definitely raise and if so to what.

-K

Boating access on upper Cape Cod is in pre-Covid mode, i.e. the usual parking sticker/beach/ramp  regulations are in place.  Parking enforcement is unusually strict. I did notice a couple folks with out-of-state plates in animated discussions with police. 

Edited by josko

• 2 months later...

I don't know how many here like to paddle in Essex Bay, but the public boat ramp is closed to non-residents:

https://www.essexma.org/home/news/boat-ramp-town-landing-closed-non-residents-july-31-until-october-1-2020

Also, all parking access to Tuck Point in Beverly is marked with "Resident Parking only, tow zone" everywhere around that area of town.

I'd love to know where we CAN put in. :(

7 hours ago, BLConaway said:

I'd love to know where we CAN put in. :(

Hey Brenda,

Cohasset boat ramp, hingham  Harbor, and the driftway boat ramp in Scituate are all open.  Parking could be challenging as everyone is doing what they can to get out.

phil

Gloucester (Pavilion Beach, Lanes Cove — the latter can access Essex Bay from Ipswich Bay), Rockport (Granite Pier, Pebble Beach), Marblehead (Riverhead Beach, Stramski Beach), Manchester Town Landing. These all have nonresident parking options although some places are charging.

Update that someone just posted that Lanes Cove is now resident only.

Jones Launch in Gloucester is open to nonresidents, although there is a sign on the road to the launch that says residents only, but that is for Wingaersheek beach.

12 hours ago, Joseph Berkovitz said:

The state-controlled boat ramp lot at Lanes Cove is still ok for nonresident parking. Other areas there have been posted as temporary resident-only. 

Good news!  What about the dirt parking area we often use?

On 8/11/2020 at 7:04 AM, Joseph Berkovitz said:

I’m not sure about the dirt area. Shari, Bob, what did you see there the other day?

Good news.  Things at Lanes Cove are as they ever were for us.  Dirt lot not posted.  State ramp and lot not posted.  Only restriction are the roads leading in and out, but we never park there anyway. 

• 3 months later...

It looks like as covid gets worse travel between NH and MA will be increasingly difficult. I would like to develop a list of NH paddlers who are interested in continuing to paddle through the winter as conditions allow that we can contact for short notice paddles out of NH or ME launches . Some trips may be listed here and some may be more informal. If you would like to be on this list please email or text me your phone and email (my contacts in profile). I will distribute the list to everyone on it.

On 11/21/2020 at 3:36 PM, Jim Snyder said:

It looks like as covid gets worse travel between NH and MA will be increasingly difficult. I would like to develop a list of NH paddlers who are interested in continuing to paddle through the winter as conditions allow that we can contact for short notice paddles out of NH or ME launches . Some trips may be listed here and some may be more informal. If you would like to be on this list please email or text me your phone and email (my contacts in profile). I will distribute the list to everyone on it.

Jim, 

Count me in for NH paddles 

Thanks

Nick