Things we CAN do as a paddling club!

Dan Foster

There's plenty of bad news in the world right now, and like most of you, I wish I could turn to paddling and this community of friends to escape from all of that for a while. Since we can't get together in person for the moment, let's start having a conversation about things we can be doing right now as an online community to stay connected, keep ourselves sane, and make our little slice of paddling cyberspace a welcome harbor from the storms gathering around us.

Here's a few ideas to get the brainstorming going:

Let's share or retell some of our favorite kayaking stories.

Forum topic: How did you get started in sea kayaking? What brought you to NSPN?

Post that trip report or share some photos from an old trip.

Let's get a "Cooking with NSPN" thread going with our favorite camping or potluck recipes.

Pick an upcoming day with interesting weather, and let's do some virtual forecasting and trip planning.

I'm going to host a virtual NSPN cocktail/social hour via Zoom's free video conferencing in the next 7 days. (Details soon...)

Now would be a great time to take some of our popular paddling routes and start creating an NSPN library of pre-made trips (1 page description with accompanying map, just check tides and go!)

What else can we be start doing? Add your own ideas, or just take an idea and start running with it. It would be great to log in to NSPN every morning and see our virtual harbor buzzing with activity, conversation, and new initiatives.

Great idea

I am intetested in spurring the collection of  reproducible maps.(PDF's) I missed Joe's workshop but the online presentation materials are excellent.

I will be glad to make two extra laminated copies of any map I use  (Can do this completely on-line) and  share with fellow paddlers, once the crisis is past.  

Regards

Pablo