Paddle Anywhere Sunday 3/15

Alex Debski

I am very interested. Per the FC it may be chilly in mid 30s but quiet conditions and low humidity. 

The forecast says under 5 kt but I don’t trust it too much. if winds shift from NW to NE as predicted then launch from west beach in Beverly and paddle East could be a nice plan...? We would get some lee S of cape Ann.  I just went out Wed. on a similar mild forecast with the same wind shift, and the NE wind sprang right up over 10 kt with lots of chop.

that said I am up for going elsewhere provided not too much travel involved.

J

Cool - let's try to convert this into something concrete!

Trip Proposal: Meet at West Beach, Beverly on Sun 3/15 at 10 am with the goal of a 10.30 launch. (I think it's best not to stress the parking situation at Tucks Point with a publicly posted paddle.) It will be a low water launch with LT at 10.45 or thereabouts. Paddle east until we decide to turn around. I think Norman's Woe is a nice goal which would give us 11-12 nm roundtrip, but we will have multiple turnaround and/or lunch options short of that: Kettle Island, Magnolia Beach, White Beach. We may get a wind vector assisting us in both directions if the timing works out well, but don't count on it.

Important Boilerplate: Oceangoing boats with flotation/bulkheads, static decklines required. Water temperature is 41º F so drysuits and robust insulating layers are a must. Radios and tow lines if you have them. 

Want to come? Please respond on this thread by end of day. We will make a float plan at the launch.

Note to our microscopic friends: We will practice safe social distancing on this trip, unless someone needs an assisted rescue.

If we want to avoid the sticky stuff we could try Singing or White Beach. I have no local knowledge but it looks like there should be plenty of parking on a cold March day. Alex, you should call it. 

It’s a bit messy, sure. Soggy red seaweed, not mud. I wasn’t thinking about that factor when I proposed it. but it’s nothing that won’t wash off. Walking down the beach a bit avoids the worst. We’ll be returning at higher water so landing should be ok. 

I am cool with launching from wherever you want. The other beaches bypass some of the more fun parts of the Manchester coast but they’ll be cleaner.

Alex...? What do you want?

In case you don’t have a definite decision, we can always meet at west beach and drive down 127 a short bit to somewhere else if we don’t like what’s happening. Doesn’t sound like there will be many of us, so we have multiple options...