New PFD Suggestion

alcoons

Happy Holidays,

I have been trying to buy a new PFD for a couple of years without much success. Given the incredible discounts right now I hope to snag one.

• I am 5'7 with a very short upper body, large chest and 34" waist, 170 lbs.
  • I appreciate at least a pocket or two and place for the radio, knife, whistle, ect.
  • I hang a water bladder off the back - have an old Kokatat.
  • I am most likely not looking for rescue rope storage but it might be a plus. Again, with my short upper body it may be a problem.
  • At 70 I am still trying to play in rock gardens but certainly not pushing the envelope - max assuming I am heathy might be NSPN level 3.
  • Want quality but don't need to pay for gold leaf.

Thanks for any help,

Al

For <that> sort of money (the Astral, in that link), you could have the very top of the range in Kokatat.  Since Al says he doesn't need all the bells and whistles, then a mid-range Kokatat would suffice AND provide reflective surfaces (always useful) and pockets galore AND be suitable for his water bladder...seems logical to me.  

As for rescue rope stowage, Al, (and you <should> be looking for this) do you mean a place to stuff a towline after use?  The easiest manner of temporary stowage is in front of your chest, between PFD and your body -- until such time as it is convenient to re-stow it back into its (presumably round-the-waist) place.

Stick with Kokatat, Al!  I reckon it's the best...

As usual, NSPN comes through. Thanks everyone for the great comments.

So the Astral Blue Jacket and Kokatat MsFit are on my list to try out. I remember trying on a MsFit in Newbury K&C but I don't think they had the large size at the time.

I just noticed the Kokatat Outfit:

https://www.outdoorplay.com/kokatat-outfit-tour-pfd-kayak-lifejacket-on-sale?color=34

which looks like perhaps a male version of the MsFit? Of course the length might be too long for my squatty-body. Anyone know about it?

Al

• 2 weeks later...

Al:  I am about 6 foot - 170 lbs - I have a Outfit (Mens MsFit) medium which lists its chest size as 40 - 44 - it is brand new and I am selling it for $75.  I also have the sea wolf in a large. I am in Cambridge - Porter Square - fairly regularly if you would like to try either on.   I bought the Outfit to replace my MsFit but decided it was not enough of an improvement and I need the money

Hi Mike,

That is great. I would definitely like to try it on. I live close by in Winchester.  Can you send an email to kayakclass@verizon.net with phone or text contact (or I can respond with mine) and we can work out when to get together.

Thanks,

Al