Warren I. State Park, Maine, seeking local knowledge

gyork

The snow's coming down hard, yet where does my mind go when it wanders?

This Island looks to be a nice 1-nite camping spot for a CCW circumnav of PenBay. The southern-most site looks to be quite private, but tidal charts suggest dry/mudflats @ LT.

Can't tell from satellite if other shoreside sites are landable? Anyone stayed here and have recommendations?  Thank you-gary

https://www.mainetrailfinder.com/trails/trail/warren-island-state-park

I love Warren Island - a yearly camping trip in July.  We like site 4 for kayak camping.  A rocky beach with slippery seaweed at low tide (we book camping based on tides).  bioluminescents were crazy good last year.  I suggest going during the new moon phase to enjoy the show.

I love it, have camped there I think 4 or 5 times.  Great place!!!!!  

1.  Favorite sites are 6 and 12. I think 5 is pretty good too. A lean-to is helpful as a gathering place or place to get out of the rain. If I recall correctly with 3 and 4 we pulled boats up to the main dock area and used carts to get gear over. The view from 3 and 4 is of Isleboro and the ferry terminal.  Did not stay at 5 and can't recall the details there. I have stayed at 6 a couple times. We kayaked to the site  - I recall that it is a longer walk at low tide but don't remember mud. Great view of Camden and Lincolnville. With 7 I remember mud, lots of it, at low tide,  but it was good mussel gathering., and scenic. Can't recall what I did at site 12 but have stayed there and liked it. 

2. The cost is per site, up to 6 per site. Lots of space to spread out with tents. Very well cared for. 

3. You will want to reserve a site if possible though I have ended up there with some friends when initially planning on a different destination and found a site.  

4. The rangers are always nice. 

5. You should take some cash - it makes the rangers happy if they can sell you a Warren Island State park hat or water bottle or other souvenir (but they do not push it on you, and maybe they don't carry those items anymore. but it is always fun to shop). I once bought a water bottle, a friend bought a hat. One year I bought my state park pass from the ranger at Warren Island and he was quite pleased as I was the first person he ever sold a park pass to on the island (although possibly the other ranger had, but as far as I know I was the first!). He could not take a credit card there so he gave me the pass and I mailed him a check when I got home. 

6. Don't run into the ferry. It is big. If you leave from Lincolnville beach it will likely pass you at some point, pretty close too if you take a direct route. 

7. Parking at the ferry terminal is safe but can add up. I can give you some parking ideas if you are going for an extended time or with a small group. 

8. Generally  have not had trouble with bugs, but one we year got there after a lot of rain and had quite a few mosquitos (but only once and not like that trail we did in Muscongus this summer...and they only bite the out-of-staters...) 

Cath 

Edited by Cath