Ogunquit

Jim Snyder

While returning from a short trip to Goose Rocks Beach with my wife I stopped to scout off season launch opportunities from Ogunquit Beach. We arrived at HT and parking was plentiful and free. It would have been nearly impossible to launch on the ocean side because of 2-3' waves breaking on. the beach but launching into the river would have been easy.

The coastline from Ogunquit down to Perkin's Cove, about 1 nm is spectacular and can be viewed from the Marginal Way walking trail.

IMG_0787.thumb.JPG.78712f28a67651c9891bcdbbbaf595db.JPGIMG_0788.thumb.JPG.89cc22cc9e89fce8bbc2ba1de49f0cdf.JPGIMG_0789.thumb.JPG.6913dc48631ae7177b463469a372bb06.JPG

Continuing South from Perkin's cove is spectacular as well. I'd like to organize a trip from Ogunquit during October and am seeking interest. Post here if you are interested and we can set up a group message for planning.

IMG_0790.JPG

I say we aim for the 19th or 20th and finish planning the weekend before when forecasts become available.

Unless conditions are very mild, this will be a level 3 trip with potential for surf and rock play. Water temperature is likely going to be in the low 50s. Depending on group interest, the farthest I can see us going would be Nubble Light, which I believe to be about 5-6 nm each way. Personally, I'm more interested in having fun than covering ground. Lunch in Perkin's Cove is  a possibility.

On 10/4/2019 at 10:10 AM, Jim Snyder said:

While returning from a short trip to Goose Rocks Beach with my wife I stopped to scout off season launch opportunities from Ogunquit Beach. We arrived at HT and parking was plentiful and free. It would have been nearly impossible to launch on the ocean side because of 2-3' waves breaking on. the beach but launching into the river would have been easy.

I haven't been to Ogunquit in many years, I'm curious which river you are referring to, the little river maybe 20' or side wide running behind Ogunquit Beach?  I recall being there once when the current was ripping through.  If that's the river, I would think you would have to plan it based on the tides or you might not get back if the current was ripping out.  But it's been decades since I've been up there so others may know way more than I do.

If I'm free that weekend, I might be interested in an L3 trip, also more interesting in playing than covering distance.

-Ken

The Ogunquit river runs under the bridge you cross to get to the parking lot. 

Low tides that weekend are around the time we might typically launch and high tides in the afternoon around a likely takeout. It's possible to launch on the beach and take out on the river or vice versa. 

According to the chart, a river launch is not an option near LT.

1094370882_Chartlaunch.jpg.a62886789c84900ddde8b34e9f1d4ee1.jpg

Here's a satellite view of a possible route, depending on conditions, that would be close to 6 nm. David Carroll and I recently made the trip between Cape Neddick Harbor and Perkin's Cove and it was spectacular.

1705577281_satelliteroute.thumb.jpg.8c0fed0343362df5c064c888a27ab675.jpg

To view this in Google Earth use this link:

SEAiq_Route_Ogunquit_South.kml

Planning now for Saturday the 19th. Long range forecast looks good at this point, conditions forecast on MSW will be available on Sunday. I'm glad we weren't planning on going tomorrow.

Saturday the 19th is now on the Magicseaweed app and there's nothing there, still a week out, to argue against this trip. Seas pretty quiet with a southish wind very light in the morning and building some throughout the day. Weather Underground has us sunny with highs in the mid 50s. Water temperature should be in the low to mid 50s.

I will prepare an NSPN waiver. I suggest a meeting time of 10 am but when you confirm your participation here please state if you would like me to shift this earlier and we'll go with the consensus. Here's a chart for the trip, the attached .pdf should print on 11 x 17 if you want to take it to staples. They will print and laminate for under $5.00.chart.thumb.jpg.9fc430aec5e99af4e16aa9b480867e5a.jpgOgunquit to Cape Neddick 1117.pdf

Confirming details for Saturday morning:

As of now we have four paddlers: Me, Prudence, Janet, and Paul. Others should feel free to jump in, even at the last minute. We'll meet at the main parking lot on Beach Street at 9:30.

If we're expecting you and you're delayed, please call or text me at 6O3 783 922six.

Weather looks nice, with a south breeze building in the afternoon to sail us home. While MSW has 12' swells and sustained 40 mph winds on Thursday morning, it's supposed to have calmed  down to one footers by Saturday. LT at Cape Neddick is 9:13 am, HT 3:18 pm. Max current on the flow is 1.7 kts at 1:42 pm.

I've tried to confirm that the parking will be free on Saturday but am still waiting to hear back from "visitors services". If this changes I will post here.

Sorry Prudence, Janet has it right. here's a view that shows the route in from route 1:

2813933_parkinglot.jpg.1778700f1c919611ee94fd2fd8096d74.jpg 

Here are the directions from I95:

directions.jpg.28772495e8f2f3cdc237f40340d52a16.jpg

I got confirmation that there will be no parking fee. I expect we'll launch from the ocean side for the shortest carry.

Edited by Jim Snyder
add info