Serendipitous Fleeting Moment of Brilliance

kate

I have come up with the Answer to a question that plagues solo kayakers, especially kayak-campers: How do you move your heavy boat up and down the beach alone? I have used several approaches in the past: 1) using found smooth logs to act as rollers under the boat (problems - most logs have branch stubs sticking out, takes a long time to move the boat any distance, still hard on hull), 2) pivot boat on stern and then bow to move up beach in 15' increments (problems - pivot points are going to grind heavily into underlying cobble/sand/barnacle-rock causing hull erosion, especially at vulnerable skeg box), 3) a variant on the pivot move, using a smooth plastic sheet which doubled as a camp kitchen cutting board under pivot points (problem - beach is always on a slope and boat slides right off the plastic). 

Recently I happened to be at a beach location where there were various floaty accoutrements and it occurred to me that there was a simple and excellent answer: pool noodles. I tried it out using the pivot method (I suppose the roller method would work too, but why bother). The noodle cushioned the boat and had enough friction that the kayak didn't slide off. It's easy to store a couple-foot segment of nearly-weightless noodle in a hatch for a day trip, or tucked under the rear bungee lines when the hatches are packed with gear. They are cheap and come in many fashion-coordinated colors. Plus think of the fun water-battle possibilities... maybe even a new pool-noodle roll. I suppose a pool lasagna noodle would be even better (that is, a square of foam rather than the spaghetti noodle) but I haven't come across that. Perhaps you will experiment and report.

Kate

Kate, I used to use blow-up rollers to pull my sailboat onto the beach. Something like these but they come in smaller sizes.

-Leon

Did you find solid noodles or those with a hole?  I use the ones with holes for hangers; I put a pvc pipe and then rope through them.  I would think the hollow ones would crush a bit when used as rollers.  But putting a 3/4" length of PVC pipe fixes that.  Might try adding that if you are using the hollow ones.

FYI, the hollow ones come in two sizes, almost 3" and almost 4".  The larger size is harder to find but I find them more useful.

-K

23 hours ago, Ken said:

Did you find solid noodles or those with a hole?  I use the ones with holes for hangers; I put a pvc pipe and then rope through them.  I would think the hollow ones would crush a bit when used as rollers.  But putting a 3/4" length of PVC pipe fixes that.  Might try adding that if you are using the hollow ones.

FYI, the hollow ones come in two sizes, almost 3" and almost 4".  The larger size is harder to find but I find them more useful.

-K

I used the hollow, probably the smaller size. Doesn't matter that they crush a bit, in fact that holds the boat in place on a sloped beach. When I'm at my car, I have a wheeled trolley to haul the boat to and fro, but when out for the day/week, something very portable and light is needed. I will watch for the 4" noodles, that would be worth a try.

Love the blow-up roller idea, they look like they can handle sharp rocks and heavy loads, and they would take little space in a loaded boat. OTOH, it's hard to beat the cost of a pool noodle! And, I hope others post their brilliant-moment ideas here. It's really a conundrum when you are out by yourself. My poor boat has had to face all too much rock-grinding....

I did a google on "inflatable boat roller" and it appears that there are many commercial products available in numerous sizes.  Some of them look like overkill for a kayak but there are smaller sizes.  But yeah, can't beat the price of a $0.99 pool noodle.

On 10/1/2019 at 7:46 AM, kate said:

Love the blow-up roller idea, they look like they can handle sharp rocks and heavy loads, and they would take little space in a loaded boat. OTOH, it's hard to beat the cost of a pool noodle! And, I hope others post their brilliant-moment ideas here. It's really a conundrum when you are out by yourself. My poor boat has had to face all too much rock-grinding....

Wouldn't it be nice if a cylindrical dry bag (or even a paddle float) could double as a blow-up roller?

Edited by leong

Oh, look-ee, look-ee: yet <another> old hand crawling out of the woodwork!  

Welcome back, Michael!  Does this mean we might expect to see you on the water again, one of these days?  (Even get your daughter out paddling, perhaps?)  (Nystrom, too, has been seen, lurking, recently, among these pages, you know...)