Misery Island

JeffMoffett

https://marine.weather.gov/MapClick.php?w0=t&w1=td&w3=sfcwind&w3u=0&w4=sky&w5=pop&w7=rain&w10=swlp&w11=swlm&w12=swlp2&w13=wwh&w14=wvh&AheadHour=0&Submit=Submit&FcstType=graphical&textField1=42.5267&textField2=-70.8692&site=all&unit=0&dd=&bw=&marine=1

The forecast has improved, a bit cool and cloudy but with little chance of rain. 

I'm still learning a bit about what clothing to wear when.  Trying to decide if a polyshirt, 0.5mm neoprene top, or my dry suit would be most comfortable.

-K

6 hours ago, Ken said:

I'm still learning a bit about what clothing to wear when.  Trying to decide if a polyshirt, 0.5mm neoprene top, or my dry suit would be most comfortable.

I’d probably go for a shorty dry top over a poly shirt and long or short light neoprene pants. Maybe a drysuit if I intend mischief. 

Water temperatures are in the low 60's, so not frigid, but not "bathtub" either.  Air temps are not much warmer, and with the lack of sun coupled with a breezy day, a swim will be a chilly event.  I would recommend for more than a poly shirt.  Neoprene or drysuit is a coin toss as to how much sun we actually get, but I always recommend that it is easier to cool off than it is to warm up, and can be more fun too!

32 minutes ago, mhabich said:

Forecast is now for 3’ seas, with 14 kt south wind gusting to 21 kt. Small craft advisory after 11 am. 

Is that a cancel?

-Ken

Yup. “Fairly new kayaker” and “small craft advisory” don’t belong in the same sentence, except in news reports. Conditions aren’t suitable for the trip as originally proposed. 

A good exercise would be to learn what the forecast means. Drive to the overlook at Miingo Beach to get a view from above, then go to West Beach and take a walk on the sand, keeping in mind that you’re only seeing the sheltered side. 

Thanks for the reply.  I live an hour away so I need to decide whether to make the drive fairly early.

-Ken

I am sure that cancelling was a good call. The NOAA buoys are another great resource in decisions like this. Links to Boston Harbor Entrance and Mass Bay below. Both of these show 16-20 kt S winds with seas 3.6 feet at 5-6 sec - in other words very steep and nasty wind waves that can pose a real challenge for staying upright if you’re not used to these conditions. And they will be strongest on the N side of Salem sound where the fetch of water swept by the wind covers more distance. 

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=44013

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=44029

Glad you got the experience. It is one thing to make guesses based on forecast, but actually experiencing it is so much more informational.  Good call on knowing your limits and bailing. 

So is there a paddle out of Lynch tomorrow and if so, what time?

-Ken