Wed. Lunch Paddle #17: 8/28/19 @ Lanes Cove (LAST IN SEASON)

Joseph Berkovitz

NSPN Wednesday Lunch Paddle #17 takes place on August 28, 2019, a Wednesday. This is the last W.L.P. of the year! You wouldn't want to miss it, would you? Really???

We will meet at Lanes Cove in Gloucester at 10:00am on the Duley Street side of the cove. https://goo.gl/maps/GNwTMjNBSZQmeEZj7

Predictions: HT: 9:56a (8.7); LT: 3:54p (0.4). Forecast is mid 60s F, sunny, light S winds building to 12 kt SE, seas 2 ft @ 9 sec.

When/what: Let's meet at 10 am sharp, and ready to launch around 10.20 am. Then we'll have a beach briefing, make a plan together based on what people feel like doing, and get on the water, hopefully around 10.30 am. The launch location should give us plenty of wind/swell protection at the outset of the paddle; we'll decide where to go based on our group discussion (which will continue after we're on the water!).

This trip doesn't have a specific level: we'll determine the route based on who shows up, what people want to do, and what the environment wants to do. All properly equipped members are welcome: please bring rigged boats with deck lines, bulkheads, spray skirts, and dress for immersion.

NOTE: The Wednesday Lunch Paddles are cooperative adventures, not guided trips. Each participant is responsible for her/his own safety.Don’t assume the trip initiators are smarter, stronger, better at rough water, more attractive, or more skilled paddlers than you are. For more information, see this description of our trip philosophy from the NSPN web site.  A waiver/float plan will be created at the launch, so there's no need to commit in advance. It's always 100% OK to show up, decide you don't like the conditions or the trip, and opt out.

If you're interested in coming, it's nice if you let us know by posting on this thread. There is no calendar entry for this particular trip. Other conversation (including stating your interest in going) can also happen on this thread.

Looking forward to seeing you there! 

Edited by Joseph Berkovitz

Oh man!  Last one and I'm missing it, too!  So wonderful you've done this, and sorry to hear they're ending.  But...do they have to?  I'm a fine one to speak bc I've only made it to one - or was it two? - but I'd be happy to post for Wednesdays (although my schedule will continue to be a bit wonky thru first three weeks of Sept!) if folks are interested in continuing it thru this loveliest time of year.  Weigh in, please!

Morning. The forecast has gotten a bit more complex where the approaching cold front drawing moisture from TS Erin has shortened what looked like a pretty clear window allowing unfettered paddling into the late afternoon.  I'm still planning on making the drive and the  paddle if others are in. 

I have been looking at the FC also this morning. My read on it is that we have a good chance of avoiding it altogether and the timing of the precipitation is quite uncertain. It looks like the winds associated with this are likely to be gusting not sustained. 

My thought is to get out on the water, but not put ourselves in a position where we might get caught out by the weather. It’s a well-defined front and we can watch the radar as the day progresses and not get into any committed situations.