Walden August 27th, 2109 (back to Tuesdays)

billvoss

Assuming the weather cooperates, I expect to work with a white water student until around 5pm, then join any NSPN participants who show up.  As far as I can tell the DCR universal access program will not be reserving boat ramp parking next week, so returning the NSPN Walden event to Tuesdays.

Dropping off our son for his freshman year at college on Wednesday so skipping this week.

Is this the last week?  Does Walden close after Labor Day?

-K

Hi Ken,

Walden will soon start closing the gates earlier to stay ahead of the sunset. They will also close the beach and its building fairly soon for winter.  They announce these changes on https://twitter.com/waldenpondstate. They will eventually close the boat ramp for winter, but I think the park itself is open year round.  I recall one year a group of paddlers meet at Walden during Thanksgiving Weekend and carried our kayaks from main parking down to the pond to practice rolling because the boat ramp was closed for winter.

Dan Foster only added Walden to the calendar through today, which is traditional.  Some years the NSPN sessions at Walden have continued into September on a week by week basis, often moving the start time earlier.  It is very weather and interest dependent. You are a paid member, so you can start a trip thread asking if anyone wants to join you at Walden.  The weather might cooperate.  I might join you.  Others might join you.  Eventually nobody will respond, then nobody will post, then NSPN Walden is done for the season.

However, the water definitely cools off with the shorter days and colder nights.  I will probably resume wearing my drysuit for comfort this week.  Though it is certainly not required for safety yet.

-Bill