Wed. Lunch Paddle #16: 8/21/19 @ Riverhead Beach

Joseph Berkovitz

NSPN Wednesday Lunch Paddle #16 takes place on August 21, 2019, a Wednesday. How fitting!

We will meet at Marblehead's Riverhead Beach at 10:00am. The parking lot is on the left of Ocean Avenue just as you approach the causeway to Marblehead Neck.  

LT 9.41 am; HT 3.53 pm. Forecast is for 70s, light S winds increasing to 8 kt, showers/Tstorms possible, and 1.5' swell @ 10s. This makes for potentially nice rock play conditions along the coast, and a possible goal of surfing the small ledge break off the middle of Devereux Beach.

Let's meet at 10 am sharp, and ready to launch around 10.20 am. Then we'll have a beach briefing, make a plan together based on what people feel like doing, and get on the water, hopefully around 10.30 am. There are several options to paddle from this launch so we will plan as a group based on conditions and skill level.

This trip doesn't have a specific level: we'll determine the route based on who shows up, what people want to do, and what the environment wants to do. All properly equipped members are welcome: please bring rigged boats with deck lines, bulkheads, spray skirts, and dress for immersion.

NOTE: The Wednesday Lunch Paddles are cooperative adventures, not guided trips. Each participant is responsible for her/his own safety.Don’t assume the trip initiators are smarter, stronger, better at rough water, more attractive, or more skilled paddlers than you are. For more information, see this description of our trip philosophy from the NSPN web site.  A waiver/float plan will be created at the launch, so there's no need to commit in advance. It's always 100% OK to show up, decide you don't like the conditions or the trip, and opt out.

If you're interested in coming, it's nice if you let us know by posting on this thread. There is no calendar entry for this particular trip. Other conversation (including stating your interest in going) can also happen on this thread.

Looking forward to seeing you there! 

Edited by Joseph Berkovitz

As some of you have already noticed, there is a severe Tstorm watch posted for this afternoon which seems to be associated with a frontal system, so probably a “when” rather than an “if”.

This sort of event doesn’t suddenly arrive out of nowhere, so my personal feeling is to go ahead & stay very well tuned to the radar and the sky. Often the timing is way off and things don’t happen until later than expected. There are also tons of emergency bailouts here.  But conservatively, we can expect the trip to likely wind up early.

Of course this is not necessarily worth the drive time (which for me is zero) and David and Pru have already cancelled. But I will be going for a paddle anyway, and I’ll be on the beach at 10 if anyone turns up, since it’s convenient for me. It just may be briefer than the usual WLP. Lunch might be at the Barnacle instead of a beach... but... they do serve beer there...