Kayak recommendations needed.

Hemmingjay

Hello there, 

I am proud to register to the forum and if I fit in here, I will be proud to be a full member as well. 

I need some recommendations for two kayakers, both passionate novices. We have rented for a few years but want to get out several times a week. I live on the Crane River/Danvers River and will spend most of my time from here and eventually hugging the coast(tightly) up to Gloucester and cut into the Ipswich Bay. We can use a roll cart to put into the river a block away or mount on our Jeep.  That is the 3 year plan, with some inland trips occasionally as well. 

I am 5'8"(68" or 172cm for expats),180#, and have a back injury but can manage lifting and carting 50# without issue.

My wife is 5'3" and 125. She is slightly less confident but if she can scuba cert, I know she will quickly become comfortable in larger water. Her experiences are in canals and some small partially enclosed Gloucester bays. 

Budget: under $3k for both before gearing up. $2k would be a dream, but we invest in good gear and use it hard for years. 

So a handful of brands and models to consider would be great. Or if you have a general suggestion, I am open to that as well. Thank you for taking the time to read this and any suggestions you may have. 

* additional background if helpful. Otherwise ignore.

*I would like to have a kayak that tracks well and modestly stable for photography and other activities, if possible. My wife wants to feel stable but not "fight against one of those Walmart kayaks just to keep up with a group". 

Additional query: Does anyone recommend adding outrigger floats on my wife's kayak to build confidence initially? Or just ease her into the deep end(literally)?

Hemminjay, go and look in the "personal classified" section, where there are <several> boats for sale right now that will fit right in with your (financial) requirements.  There is a Valley Nordkapp (HM, standing for "hull modified", meaning <very> good tracking, due to the built-in skeg at the stern); there are <two> plastic boats that might do you well, at competitive prices, from the same source (plastic meaning you will not be bothered by scratches gained on pebbly beaches or the rocks); there is an Impex Force 4 that would likely suit one of you...and so on. 

Don't bother with "starter" boats, for if you are both as athletic as you sound to be, you will quickly grow into your boats -- that was exactly the advice I received from the founder of this club, many moons ago, when I bought my first boat -- and he was right!  There are weekly skills sessions at Chebacco Lake in Wenham/Manchester and there are plenty of <great> coaches around for your tuition so that you may soon enough gain the mindset for pushing yourselves in that area (of learning).

Take the plunge and go and look at some of these boats: sit in them and see what feels most comfortable.  Good luck!  Keep us apprised of your progress and you'll find plenty of paddlers here who will gladly pass on their skills and advice (it is that sort of club)

Seconding the above advice, get used, shop around first, and no to outriggers unless you are planning to fish for large fish (in which case get a fishing kayak) Also, as a former owner of a Nordkapp HM, it is a great boat, very fast, and very stiff tracking, but perhaps not the best choice for you or your wife as a first good boat (and it's too big for her anyway!), since it is a bit specialized, and can be hard to turn into the wind on a very windy day. Also, your wife should get a boat that is not too big for her, that is the one mistake that smaller people often make. Personally, I prefer skegs over rudders for the NE coastal environment. Go to a rental place also, and try out a few boats. Often there are end of season sales on used boats as well.

Many of the shops like to sell off a lot of their rental/lesson fleet at the end of the summer so they have to winter over fewer boats.  You could try shops in the next few weeks and see what's around.  You might be able to get a lightly-used boat a year or two old for 1/2 of list price.  That's what I did early last September to get my first boat from Osprey down in Westport.