Delphin 150 - Remove thigh grips?

rpg51

Is it possible to remove the white water style thigh grips, and add some simple padding similar to a typical sea kayak?  Perhaps attach the back band straps with stainless bolts/washers through the side of plastic seat frame similar to the way my Aries is set up from the factory, with the Cetus style coming and thigh braces.? 

I'm trying to make the boat a little more roomy in that area for someone moving from rec kayak to sea kayak for the first time. I want to be able to put it back to original in the future, and it seems that should be doable.  I am just a little worried about whether the boat will have enough of a thigh grip without the white water grips in place. But, she really does not need a ton of thigh bracing at her level right now anyway, and it seems this would make the entire experience a bit more relaxed for her, which will likely pay dividends down the road.  At least that's my theory at the present moment.  :)

Edit: after watching this (see link below) I am more convinced that she does not need thigh bracing at all right now - maybe down the road, but not yet.  Agree?  Comfort v. Aggressive Bracing for new sea kayak paddler just starting out.

Rob G.

Edited by rpg51

• 2 weeks later...

I recently removed the thigh braces from my Delphin 155 because I also prefer the lighter, less aggressive support offered by other boats. I want room to disengage knees and thighs from the top of the boat but still be able to make contact when I want to (usually only in a roll or brace). For many people, that kind of locked-in contact with the deck results in a twitchy and unstable experience; my feeling is it's better to edge using onside weight, not with an offside thigh.

The Delphin system has two distinct pieces on each side: the backband adjuster with a lever-and-pawl arrangement, and the molded plastic thigh brace itself. Since I wanted to preserve the ability to adjust the backband (and also put the braces back in case I sell the boat), I decided to just remove the thigh braces and leave the backband system more or less in place. But because the thigh braces actually form part of the mounting for the adjusters, I did resort to one hack: I screwed the adjusters directly onto the coaming where the thigh braces had been. This works fine. I did not install any additional foam braces, since the adjuster itself still takes up some room in that spot.

One could certainly rig up something more like the Cetus if so inclined. In any case, I just stayed with the stock Delphin parts, minus the braces, and now I am much happier with the boat.

i pulled off the braces on this 150.  I cut off the saw tooth ends on the back band straps, and looped the remaining strap through the black metal loop/guide that is bolted to the front seat bolts.  I used a plastic strap gizmo to form the loop.  It works very well.  I ordered a replacement set of back band straps with the saw tooth ratchet gizmos so I can put the boat back to stock if I ever sell it or decide to go back to the stock braces (not likely).

My wife finds this set up is far more comfortable than the whitewater style thigh grips.

Jonathan - I thought you replaced the combing to a Cetus combing in your Aries - no?  Anyway, could you post a picture of the thigh brace padding you have in place?  I might try to glue some thin padding to boat in the thigh brace area.  Not sure. 

Edited by rpg51